I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

More show thoughts
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 04, 2012 06:52PM

I have attended every High Point show and two in Charlotte and, in my opinion, everyone has out performed the previous one by leaps and bounds. I doubt that many realize the time, work and money that that Tom puts into this show to make it look so easy (I wouldn't doubt that he is already looking at 2013). One of the things that go unnoticed is the work of his friends/crew that put in long hours behind the scenes and at the front desk throughout the show ot make everything run so smooth. Although mostly unrecognized, they deserve a shout-out and thanks from all of us!

We all get different things from the show,For me, along with all the great vendors and product on display and the fantastic seminars, the big reason that I hope to NEVER have to miss one is the camaraderie and knowledge that I get from ALL of the rodbuilders in attendance (Pro, Amateur, Experienced or Newbie). The learning NEVER stops from morning to night whether you are in a seminar, the Atrium, hotel bar or NERB Central in the Best Western Lobby!. It's a time to renew friendships and make new ones. I relish the time that I got to "hang out" with John Repaci and Clyde Thomas as well as everyone else!!

I'm 72 and been hacking away at this for many years and I'm blown away by the amazing work/talent/skill that I see displayed every year ! It just keeps getting better! This year I saw TWO things that blew me away. The 3 all white MHX rods built by Pat Vinzant that were on display at the Mudhole booth were simply amazing!!! The spiraled abalone rod by Kevin Knox was absolutely beautiful!! I hope these rods grace the pages of Rodmaker.

Others can debate the numbers and worry about year to year comparisons, for me, this was the best show yet!!!.

One thing to consider, the aisles at the ICRBE are 2 or 3 times as wide as any show of any type that I have ever seen which would tend to always make them seem uncrowded (That's a GOOD thing!).

Come next February, if any of you happen to see a fat, old guy with a walker hitchhiking towards High Point, pick me up!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: More show thoughts
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 04, 2012 06:59PM

Pat and Kevin's rods were photographed, along with many others, and will be used a few at a time in upcoming issues of the magazine.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: March 05, 2012 07:07AM

Humbled is an understatement. Wow...... Thank you for your comment and I look forward to pushing the envelope and coming up with some new and innovative decorative applications for the Abalone veneer. I already have my brain churning and look forward to the next show to let those that are into abalone see that the opportunities are endless with this veneer!

Thank you again,
Kevin

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 05, 2012 09:45AM

To Mike Barkley:
Clyde and I would like to wish you happy birthday, AGAIN!

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 05, 2012 10:55AM

Mike
Pls email me the source for the buttons you had in the NERBS lobby

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 05, 2012 01:56PM

John,

Payback is @#$%& even if you were a couple months late LOL!!

Ken, Info sent! You will love them

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Clyde Thomas (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 05, 2012 08:59PM

Mike,
John and I sincerely hope that next year's show coincides with your birthday AGAIN! And don't be upset with John, he has a fine singing voice. Bet Keith, Ann, and Bob would have enjoyed it too!

Clyde

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.196.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: March 05, 2012 09:20PM

Mike, one of these years, I'll get that way. I'll even stop and pick you up, walker and all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster