I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lumiseal questions
Posted by: Scott Kloosterman (50.36.119.---)
Date: March 02, 2012 11:20AM

Just used Lumiseal for the first time last night and this morrning learned not to pour it into a plastic mixing cup befor applying to the wraps. The cup was half melted and sticking to the newspaper I had thankfully laid down. As I said lesson learned, Ill now use some small SS mixing cups I have.

Questions
Can fresh Lumiseal be poured ontop of hardend if I can't clean out the SS cups?
With Lumiseal being much more "watery" than epoxy how does one seal the gap at the base of the guide?
How long befor I can recoat?
I asume this would be the same for Perma Gloss (I have both, just grabbed Lumiseal first)

Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lumiseal questions
Posted by: Scott D parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2012 01:23PM

Scott,
You can pour it on top of already hardened product in the bottom of your cup.
It would take many coats to actually seal the gap on your guide feet, but since it dries so hard you would have nothing to worry about even if water got in there,
Wait 1 hr to recoat?
Good assumption
Thanks
Scott Parsons

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]
[www.fishhawkthreads.com]

Date: March 02, 2012 03:01PM

Thank You

One thing I forgot to ask is what about over CP or isn't it necesary? Used it this time because I want to keep the color (Fishhawk Lt Blue), will I have a problem with the penetration of the Lumiseal?

Scott K

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2012 03:25PM

The whole point of a color preserver is to keep anything else you put on top, epoxy, urethane, varnish, etc., from penetrating.

Date: March 02, 2012 04:36PM

Thank you Tom, thats kind of what I thought. So based on what Scott Parson said will the CP affect the performance of the urethane? Than to take it a little farther is epoxy a better choice than urethane for a salt water rod if it takes so many coats to completely seal the guide foot? Also to rephrasemy second question, will a urethane cause the thread to become transparent like epoxy?
Almost forgot what can be used to clean urethana off a brush?
Scott K

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2012 04:45PM by Scott Kloosterman.

Date: March 02, 2012 04:55PM

Yes, urethane will turn threads semi-transparent just like epoxy.

CP'd wraps are not inherently weaker by more than a few percent. It's not really a factor.

Urethanes such as LS or PG do require more coats than most epoxies to build the same depth but they are much tougher yet much more flexible.

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.fuse.net)
Date: March 02, 2012 06:57PM

Not to completely hi-jack the thread. But, does LS have a self leveler?

Date: March 02, 2012 06:58PM

Most all liquids are self leveling. If you look at Lumaseal in the bottle, you'll note that it's perfectly level across the top. Same if you pour it into another container. It levels automatically.

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.fuse.net)
Date: March 03, 2012 07:05PM

But, it doesn't seem to level on a guide wrap like the 2 part epoxies.

Date: March 03, 2012 08:06PM

It's thinner and sets more quickly. If you apply it quickly and leave it alone, it will do all it can do. All my wraps done with PG are perfectly level.

Never expect a moisture curing urethane to look like epoxy, however. The urethanes such as PG and LS will have what is called an "eggshell" appearance.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster