I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

the infamous guide alignment tool?
Posted by: billy broderick (---.scr.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2012 06:54PM

Hi tom first thanks again for a great show the only bad thing was the money i spent. There were such deals every where I just couldnt pass up that i spent over $3 grand by the time i was done! yeeeks. Anyway my question would be what was the guide alignment tool you mentioned earlier in other posts? That is the one thing that takes the most time for me and is just not fun. I saw your tool selling on the @#$%& site years ago but its gone. I cant find the plastic to build my own but that was the perfect answer. Any way where is this fantom tool?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: the infamous guide alignment tool?
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 01, 2012 07:18PM

Billy stay tuned. I got to see it and was shown first hand how it operated. It's an ingenious little tool that once you see it you would say, now why didn't I think of that. Instructions are being drawn on up on its use and hopefully we'll have it available in the very near future.

Lance

Date: March 01, 2012 07:27PM

Thanks Lance whos putting it out? and thank you for your help at the show. You guys were awsome and hope you got some rest and your trailor unloaded. The kind of business you run your more focused on getting back driving all night and filling orders on monday rather then sleeping. That shows and wont be forgotten. The guys at Swampland are still "service oriented" even if they don't know how to talk lol. Tell Bill I didn't get a chance to show him how to make a Court Boulion last weekend!lol

Posted by: david jones (---.sub-174-252-159.myvzw.com)
Date: March 01, 2012 08:21PM

How much do you think it will cost and about how long before it's out

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (72.188.204.---)
Date: March 02, 2012 08:36AM

Can it be modified to locate spiral wrap guides?

Posted by: Jeff Frei (12.213.112.---)
Date: March 02, 2012 08:51AM

I talked to a rod builder last weekend at a fishing expo in Wisconsin and he told me that he just uses an old fly rod blank. Slides it down through all the guides, butt to tip. If you really need a tool, you can't get much simpler than that.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: March 02, 2012 09:00AM

Jeff, its what i do too. Old 2 weight goes even into micros without a problem. Most handy when going from reel to choke and trying to locate the guide/s inbetween.
Of course those little laser pointers can be useful for some things when you add some duck tape.........

But end of the day my eyes tell me its all OK for the final tweak.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 02, 2012 09:04AM

best thing to do IMHO is to alain them from tip to butt Just make your top on the money !-- As You Wrap -- It is a lot easyer and quicker to alain with a half wrapped guide then a completed guide .
Even if your not on the money when your done - you will have less to move

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jeff Frei (99.196.160.---)
Date: March 02, 2012 09:15AM

Also, for spiral guides, I searched "degree wheel" free download and printed out an automotive degree wheel about 4" in diameter. I made red lines at 0, 60, 120, and 180 degrees. I put a 1/4" hole in the middle along with 4 radial cuts to form rod gripping fingers. I line up the 0 mark with the reel seat and rotate the rod until the 60 is vertical and mark the rod, repeating this for 120 and 180. I used photo paper which is stiffer, made the red lines and then put clear laminate over the whole thing to protect the lines and also make it even stiffer.

Date: March 02, 2012 09:47AM

When I do a spiral I put the guides on quickly spaced
Then static test and get the runners correctly spaced
Then run a line though.

Let the line tell me where and what size the guides should be First 3 or 4 guides are turned so the line lays at the bottom of the ring closest to the blank mark where it hits the blank , add a bumper
Static test Adjust as needed making the streaghtest line path possible

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (72.188.204.---)
Date: March 02, 2012 10:14AM

Bill: Thanks for the tips - they are clear and practical. I always wondered how to space spiral guides.

Date: March 02, 2012 11:06AM

Another thing about them is reeling in line Depending on the reel always check to make sure you are not getting stacking onto one side of it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 02, 2012 02:21PM

The original post was referring to a guide alignment tool -

Very few have the ability to think outside the box - fewer have the ability to build practical tools for rodbuilders daily use.

Few precision tools are available that actually simplify and speed up building.

This one works!

When it comes out of the closet they will be available from Swampland.

This one is different - most will realize the are not smart enough to have ever come up with this one!

A clue as to the origin "This one is not his First Rodeo!

Date: March 03, 2012 08:43AM

Hey Bill when we get some time I will show you how to make a court boulion lol. Thanks for the update thats a tease. My bet is backlash tools has another great product that will make my life easier! btw before I can show you how to make one you have to learn how to say it not cooo boooyo! You guys were great at the show as usual. Thanks for all the help and the great deals on top notch products!

Posted by: Josh Jensen (---.fnd.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 11, 2015 08:59AM

Swampland Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Billy stay tuned. I got to see it and was shown
> first hand how it operated. It's an ingenious
> little tool that once you see it you would say,
> now why didn't I think of that. Instructions are
> being drawn on up on its use and hopefully we'll
> have it available in the very near future.

have we gave up on this idea? I saw this tool and it looks very helpful!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster