I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

appying high build over 3 year old high B
Posted by: Jerry D Powers (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2012 10:57PM

Hello fellow rod wrappers, I have been out of this for awhile and would very much appreciate your advice on this 90 percent completed rod. this is a seeker tuna stick that I have applied the high build 3 years ago on the under wrap then put a double wrap on the roller guide feet, and stopped there. ok I need to finish it with a kote of high build but I guess it wont stick correcty so what do you guys or girls suggest. I was thinking some scotch brite or steal wool as much as I could reach it but not looking foreward to this tedious task. is there something else I can apply to it to etch it . oh and yes I know some of you want to kill me for not finishing it but whats done is done . Thanks Jerry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: appying high build over 3 year old high B
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse2.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 02, 2012 12:09AM

Hi Jerry,
Give it a light buff with a grey scotchbright pad, a good clean with a brush and you will be good. Just be careful of not rubbing your overwraps. Your best bet would be to remove the overbinds and guides and buff it. If your very careful you'll get away with it. I don't what to kill you but it's good to see you've got the bug again. Don't make it your last rod as you never know what's ahead and this discipline needs as many participants as it can get. If you can't buff all the epoxy then strip everything off and start again.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2012 12:36AM by Col Chaseling.

Date: March 02, 2012 09:25PM

sounds like some darn good advice Col , I thank you for that and your other advice. what do you mean grey scotchbrite. I am going to give it a shot with the over wraps on cause I dont have the time like I did before marrige , big house , and overtime at work I just have to tell myself little at a time. I love this hobbie so much I always go back , the sience and mechanics of it fasinates me. I'm a blank nut I think I have 15 or 20 that will be wrapped one day, @#$%& I love standing out in the yard working the blanks. Jerry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2012 09:43PM by Jerry D Powers.

Date: March 02, 2012 10:23PM

Hi Jerry,
Grey scotchbrite pads are the fine ones, you don't want to overdo it or the scratches will show through. Several sponsors on the left carry them and they should be available at your local hardware store. Or you could use some thin strips of 600 wet and dry which might be easier to use. Just make sure you give it a good clean afterwards. Use a brush, no solvents.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2012 03:40AM by Col Chaseling.

Date: March 03, 2012 09:42PM

again thank for more great advice I would not think the fine scratchs would show if I buffed to hard but you informed me + the grey. this site is just wonderful for help I remember before the net all I had was Clemens books and alot of guys would not tell you much. thanks Col

Date: March 03, 2012 10:48PM

Hi Jerry,
Your Welcome. There's a lot of very knowledgable and experienced builders on this site who aren't afraid to put their names to what they write. Combine that with Tom's rules and his policing of them makes this the best rodbuilding forum on the net. Do'nt know if I fall into the knowledgeable category but I've been building for a long time so hopefully I've learned something.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2012 02:46AM by Col Chaseling.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster