I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with Micro Guides for Fly Rods
Posted by: Peter Rubischon (---.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz)
Date: March 01, 2012 02:59AM

I need some help with micro guides for fly rods. I built a rod on a CTS Affinity MX blank (5 wt, 10'00") with REC single foot guides and I have to say I'am not very impressed by the casting performance (compared to snake guides). I'll cut the guides off and would like to give micro rings a go. After going through the posts covering micros, I feel the PacBay Minima 4 are a favorite.

May I ask for some guidelines about: Number of guides, make and size of recommended stripper guides (1 or 2) and the most suitable tip tops?

Has anyone compared the Pac Bay Minima 4 with American Tackle Titan Micros (nanolite rings) and/or Fuji Micros KT (Titanium Frame, SIC ring)? According to the information I could get on the web, the weight of Minima4, American Tackle and Fuji Micros are similar and I imagine that ceramic rings might be less noisy than the minima4?

Minima4 #3 ID = 2.2mm, weight 0.068 grams
Minima4 #4 ID = 3.4mm, weight 0.077 grams
Minima4 #5 ID = 4.3mm, weight 0.140 grams

Am Tackle # 3 ID = 2.1mm, weight 0.045 grams
AM Tackle # 4 ID = 2.44mm, weight 0.07 grams

Fuji Micro KT #4 ID =2.1mm, weight 0.045 grams
Fuji Micro KT #4.5 ID = 2.45mm, weight 0.06 grams

Unfortunately I couldn't find a complete list of the guide specs, but the above numbers indicate that the weight to ID ratio seems to be very similar.

Thank you in advance for your highly appreciated thoughts.
Cheers,
Peter (New Zealand)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with Micro Guides for Fly Rods
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2012 07:58AM

You must use the proper sized guides in order to get the best performance possible. The proper size is that which is the smallest that will still pass your line and any and all required connections, while holding up to the task required.

Ceramic rings pass line more quietly than any other type. They also weigh a bit more than those in similar size that do not possess a ceramic ring.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2012 08:24AM

Peter,
Are you sure that you have the proper line for the rod? Even though it is listed as a 5 weight, it may perform better with a 6 wt or a 4 wt line. Also, a 10 foot rod could to be a little more difficult to cast than a shorter rod. The issue may have nothing to do with your guide selection.
The Recoil single foots are most likely the lightest guides, in terms of weight, and should cast great, provided they are large enough to pass your connections. As Tom said, ceramics are going to bit heavier, and even the Minimas will outweigh the Recoils. That said, I prefer the Minimas, in a size 5 for my medium duty fly rods.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Date: March 01, 2012 09:11AM

Or, it may perform better with more or less of a 5-weight line. Remember, a 4, 5 or 6-weight line all weigh the same at some respective distance.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: March 01, 2012 10:09AM

I find the minnima 4's in a size 5 is great for guys who use nail, surgeon,and blood knot connections, while those who use loop to loop, the size 6 is better.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: March 01, 2012 10:13AM

What size are the single foot REC's?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: March 01, 2012 10:26AM

Like Dick, I would hesitate to go smaller than size 5 in the Minima 4 series. That will provide you with a 4.5mm line opening.

Date: March 01, 2012 03:11PM

Thank you all for your input.

I built this rod before (with snake guides) and a 5-weight dry-line and 6 weight inter line balance the rod very well.

Russ: I've used RECs in size 2, 3 and 4

The REC worked reasonably well for me with a dry line (although noisy) but with intermediate lines and clear lines the guides tend to be "sticky"

I understand Minima4, size 5 and larger seems the way to go. What make and size of stripper guides (1 or 2) would you recommend?

Thanks
Peter

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 01, 2012 03:24PM

I have used single foot wire guides on 5 up to 7 wt Fast Action St croix rods And loved them

All rods -- carry -- weight weather it be a lure or line They use this weight to load the blank to cast it well

try heaver weight -- Line Try several May not be the guides

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 01, 2012 04:01PM

A high frame 12 would be my choice, followed perhaps by a high frame 8, then all size 5's to the tiptop.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 01, 2012 06:58PM

Thanks Peter. I'm new to building fly rods and got the impression REC's were the "bee's knees". I just did a 5 weight with size 3 and 4 single foot guides are thought the 3's looked huge.

Thinking logically....would the right choice for a stripper guide be dependent on arbor size of the reel? Looking at some of the serious large arbor tarpon reels I was feeling like the traditional casting style guide wasn't going to cut it.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: March 01, 2012 09:45PM

Russ, I have a good idea where my problems with the REC guides come from. Given they are very light (thin wire) and built from nickel titanium alloy they are very flexible. I'm pretty sure that the relatively high friction of a fly line (especially intermediate and clear lines) can cause some sort of "vibration" (tiny movements of the guide) which make them feel sticky. The only thing that helped during my extensive test casting was to dip rod and reel into the river. The wet line and wet guides seemed to prevent the above mentioned effect.

I don't think that the size of the arbor has any impact on the guide selection. With fly rods the line is only pulled of the reel when a powerful fish runs away from you. In all other situations the line is pulled of the reel by hand and placed on the ground, in the water or in your stripping basket. Some rod builders do recommend to position the first stripper in a slight angle (towards your line hand) to create a better angle between the first stripper and the line on the ground.

Tom, thank you for your help with the size of the stripper guides - I'll give it a go.

Bill, thanks for your comment. As mentioned earlier I'm quite happy with the line selection. I test casted lines from 4 up to 7. #5 dry fly line (Rio Grande, which is more a 5.5 than a 5 line, and #6 for intermediate lines seem to suit the blank beautifully.

Cheers, Peter

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 02, 2012 09:55AM

Try lubracating the line When fishing I do a line at least 3 - 4 times in a 5 houre outing It may be too dry

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster