I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Expo Comments
Posted by: Robert Moody (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2012 11:59PM

I just wanted to put my 2 cents in about last weekend. When I first walked in to the exhibition hall my first reaction was that it was smaller than years past as everything seemed to be condensed. But it took me a few laps up and down the aisle to realize what had taken place. All of the cream of the crop was centrally located and not spread out making it much easier to see everyone. For me with degenerative disc disease it made things much easier to see. Probably the best show ever. Thanks Tom, you hit one out of he park this year. Thanks for all your effort Save your floorpan for next year and don't change a thing, it was great.
Bob Moody
Ambler Rodcraft

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Expo Comments
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 29, 2012 11:42AM

Thanks for the comments. I really don't know what was different about the floorplan - it's the same as it's been every year since 2007. I did extend the length of the aisles and installed a new cross-aisle a third of the way down. That's about it, although I supposed it could have made things look different. Glad you had a great time.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 29, 2012 12:43PM

This was my 4th Expo and they really do get better each time.
The seminars were exceptionally fine this year.
While I realize the attendance was up over previous years the atmosphere was pleasantly calm.
The amount of new items was staggering.

Met a lot of old friends and made new ones.
Enjoyed three wonderful dinners at local restaurants.
The free breakfast at the Best Western was an added bonus.

Best of all was the personal attention and instruction received at the individual booths.
Special thanks to Steve Patterson for his patient assistance.
And of course Kudos to Tom K. and his staff for one more fantastic Expo.

I'm already looking forward to next year.

Posted by: Douglas Nelson (---.sub-174-252-157.myvzw.com)
Date: February 29, 2012 01:59PM

I want to say WOW to Mr. Kirkman! Awesome Job I thought being a noobie!
Tons of stuff to see and learn! Turning demos were great, I want to try that next!
Picked up great info. on guides, blanks, and building tips! Spent my limit and found
Some deals! I still buy some of the cheapest stuff, but am looking forward to moving up
as my skills improve! The one part finishes and the microwave guide are pretty cool items!
Being a new guy, I want to thank those venders who can speak to the inexperienced builder!
Several gave me free hats and samples, this means a lot to me (especially nowadays with gas
almost 4 bucks)! Can't wait to go back next year!

Having said that the only criticism I have is to let the venders spread out a little!
At least so more than one person can fit in the booth at once! There was a lot of open isle space!
I realize you are renting booth space, and that each vender needs to keep an eye
on their inventory, but to me each booth is too small! I saw a bunch of good stuff in piles and
crammed under tables! Just a thought!

Overall it was great! Thanks Doug N.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 29, 2012 02:27PM

Douglas,

The vendors are free to buy as much space as they desire/require. Therefore I suggest you contact them and suggest that they purchase more space in the future. I'll be happy to sell them all they want.

In fact, the only real problem we have at the Expo is that some vendors still "steal" space from me, buying less than they actually need and then pushing out into the aisle onto space they didn't pay for. This is why the Expo is generally "not for profit" on my end. I never collect as much from the exhibitors as the place costs me.

Thanks for your comments and I'm certainly glad you enjoyed yourself. That's what the whole thing's about.

Posted by: Douglas Nelson (---.sub-174-252-157.myvzw.com)
Date: February 29, 2012 03:08PM

Mr. Kirkman
I can see that would be a tough position for you!
You deserve even more Thanks in that situation!

In this case the rent could never be low enough, or the booth big enough!

This is then for all the exhibitors: Please expand your space, even a little!
This should let the public see all of your wares, and let more than one person
see them at one time! This should expose more customers to your product, hopefully generating
more interest and ultimately sales!
I now step down from my box!
Thanks again! Doug N.

Posted by: Robert Moody (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2012 09:29PM

Tom,
My expo comments were not meant to be criticism as I thnk th Expo was set up about as good as it could be. I really enjoyed not having to walk too far to see all the great vendors. It seemed they were prettty well situated in close proximity to each other. However you changed the aisle it was great, hopefully you can keep the same floor plan for next year. Thanks for another great event. You really are a professional showmaster.
Bob Moody
Ambler Rodcraft

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster