I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

metallic thread
Posted by: scott stevens (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2012 09:32PM

Is metallic thread best used for trim bands or is it ok for the complete guide wrap?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: metallic thread
Date: February 25, 2012 09:34PM

Sorry about the double post I was attempting to edit the spelling

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse2.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 25, 2012 09:55PM

Hi Scott,
Personally I just use it for trim but from previous posts quite a few guys use it successfully for guide wraps. Might be a good idea to test the strength of what your using against nylon of similar size. It's usually a bit stronger than similar sized thread.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: February 25, 2012 10:04PM

Thank you Sir!

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.fuse.net)
Date: February 25, 2012 10:13PM

I just wrapped some guides w/ metallic thread and hopefully will never have to do it again. It can be done. But, it's not fun. Keep it as trim.

Date: February 25, 2012 11:09PM

I failed to say that I built the rod then asked the question. It was kind of a pain in the butt! The thread wants to come off the spool like when you over fill a spinning reel. If you give it any slack, WHAM, backlash! One concern when I applied the finish, it didnt seem to penetrate the thread. Man, I hope it holds up. Its a 7' MH I'll be throwing topwater baits with

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2012 11:44PM

There is some good direction in this topic from a few years ago...
[rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: February 26, 2012 06:42AM

I asked this same question when I started building and was told that the metallic threads are just as strong as the non metallic threads. I use it most of the time for complete wraps and an occasional trim band when desired. I have had traouble with some spools of thread that come apart in the middle of a wrap, you need to watch your thread tension closely. If I had a choice, all my wraps will be metallic.

With that said, I have tried some of the new Pro Wrap metallic thread and do not like it at all. Way too stiff compared to the quality materials that used to be available. If Pro Wrap is my only choice, that might just change my mind.

Steve

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 26, 2012 07:59AM

Hi,

Since Gudebrod metallic thread has come on the market 99.9% of my wraps have used metallic thread. Why? I like the shiny effect but most of all because I can use a lighter color over a dark color and color sealer/preserver is not needed.(Get stung by bad color sealer/preserver and you will understand why I don't like it!). The only Gudebrod color I can not place over a darker color is Pearl. When I use Pearl as an under wrap I paint the blank white under the wrap. This gives me the whitest white available.

I have also used the white paint under light colors of nylon thread very successfully.

Metallic thread works just fine as trim bands and inserts.

Yes, it can be a pain in the neck to use, especially a new spool. But you can get use to it. For me the positives far out weigh the negatives.

While Gudebrod was restructuring I needed some colors and decided upon Mud Hole's Pro wrap. Their product has worked well also and I like all the new colors they provide. Gudebrod thread is available again. I use both companies metallic thread now.

Bottom line, use what works best for you!

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 26, 2012 12:19PM

Metallic is on a rod I just wrapped yesterday, full wraps in metallic. ALL my personal rods are metallic.I love using it, and have been for a long time as a full wrap. Very strong, never had a failure, never needs CP, never fuzzy. Metallic is a WIN-WIN.

DR

Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 27, 2012 12:26AM

Will CP harm metallic thread. Going to use some for the 1st time

Posted by: Les Stewart (---.gh.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: February 27, 2012 01:18PM

CP does not harm metalic thread at all Harry. I use it all the time, contrary to what some people say I have had red metalit fade and cause my finish to turn pink in places, I use CP on all red metalic wraps now. I do a good bit of work for a friend that wants all of his wraps done with only red metalic with a silver trim band.

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2012 02:22PM

Interesting thread here! I Have use several kinds of threads for my builds FishHwk, PBay, Mederian, and a few others as far as I am concerned in my use they were all fine to work with. My issue was the use of (CP) on my wraps all the time and this was one animal I was not wanting to deal with because of its nature of causing unwanted effects with finish applications. Mostly compatibility issues for the most part. I want a thread wrap that did away with CP altogether and the process application procedure. I found ProWrap and starting using it for my Main Wraps and including bands or under wraps. It works exceptionally well for me and I have had no failure in any build to this day. The rods I have built have all been returned to me for inspection from last years Salmon season and needles to say the color and transparency of my finishes have not faded in the least amount. I used metallics in the ProWrap of all of those rods and Nada one has failed with micro #4 Artus #4 Fuji's, #4 Batons. I have even upgrade a few of those rods with the new latest Heavy Duty Artus #4, wrapped with metallic ProWrap and awaiting some Field test results this month. SO to answer you question Steve its safe to use in my opinion hope this helps. Have fun building thats the best part !!

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Posted by: michael schnoor (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: February 27, 2012 04:14PM

I did a Florida Gators themed rod with metallic blue prowrap on the guides. It came out pretty nice, but it was definitely hard to work with if you are hand wrapping. The backlash can be pretty nasty, and I noticed that the thread tended to lose some of its luster when trying to adjust any gaps in threads. I may have packed it a little too tight, so most likely user error on my part. BUT, when it was said and done, it looked beautiful! I'm sure the next metallic one I do will come out a lot better. It is definitely safe to use as the other guys have said. Made this rod for my father-in-law, and he has landed 20+ lb redfish on it constantly. He has never been happier!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2012 06:49PM

Different brand metallic's ARE different!

Some are hard to work with, they twist, the foil comes off and they show silver underneath....others like Sulky Original Metallic are a DREAM to work with. Just a hint :-)

DR

Posted by: michael schnoor (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: February 27, 2012 07:16PM

I'll check into that duane, thanks :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster