I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cason's Crystal Clear Problems
Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.217.---)
Date: February 22, 2012 08:23AM

I have just tried Cason's Clear on a rod using Gudbrod Teal and Pro Kote, and the results are not very good.

First application on the grip area windings: I may have applied it too thickly (after reading the instructions on line a second time), used three coats, and the hook keeper foot shows clearly through the epoxy. Looked fine before epoxy. Other areas look somewhat transclucent, with the decal pattern showing through the windings.

Second application on the tip guides: I was careful to not use too much, blotted excess off and let it dry overnight. Used three coats, and while better than the first application, the guide feet still have mottling on the edges of the feet. Again, before applying the finish, they all looked perfect.

No response from Cason on what I may have done wrong.

Any ideas? I've seen many postings of builders using Cason Clear without problems. What am I missing?

I am right now considering using Cason's only to seal the edges of decals, where it did do a nice job-no tendency for the edge to lift with finish application.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cason's Crystal Clear Problems
Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2012 11:35AM

What color blank and thread? I have never had any problems with Cason's. It's all I use.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: February 22, 2012 05:10PM

Teal Gudbrod nylon on dark blue glossy blank and a decal that ranged from dark to light. Just heard from Bill at Cason's and he is sending a modified product that he says is better. Will do a test to verify I have the process down pat. Sounds to me like the first set of guides were coated too heavily and thus didn't dry totally. Not sure what I could have done differently in the second set.

Date: February 22, 2012 05:14PM

I didn't know they were coming out with a modified version. Is he talking about the non-water based CP?

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: February 22, 2012 08:33PM

Not sure. Maybe it's already out, and what I have is an older version. I didn't know there were two versions of the product, but I now think there are. I have water based.

Date: February 22, 2012 08:51PM

I mainly use the water based. Mine is less than a year old. I know that in 2009 they came out with a redesigned CP. I am going to get some solvent based at the Expo to try it as well. It is supposed to be really good on silk.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster