I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Great Lakes Salmon Trolling Rod Help?
Posted by: Jason Ferdig (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2012 12:11AM

Hey guys this is my first post here and what a great site this is ....I was hoping for some advice on a personal build, I am going to be building 4 trolling rods would like them to be around 8'6" medium power etc. I will be using them to drag the small Walleye boards with a thin fish or large bomber on them for the spring salmon run. My debate is having never built trolling/ planar rods I am not sure what brand is best to use, I have been looking at Lamiglas and Batson blanks and trying to keep it around $80.00 or less per blank. What is a good blank to use in this scenario I am open to all suggestions and appreciate any input.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2012 12:12AM by Jason Ferdig.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Great Lakes Salmon Trolling Rod Help?
Posted by: Tony Childs (---.196.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: February 12, 2012 08:45AM

Give the MHXDR1024 a shot. It is designed and built for Great Lakes trolling. They are glass rods with a nice slow action, perfect for pulling boards. They are very easy on your pocketbook and have a bulletproof warranty. Do a spiral wrap and you will have great board rods. These also make great downrigger rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2012 10:49AM by Tony Childs.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 12, 2012 12:15PM

Look at the Batson Forecast DSS1025.
They are graphite with a "Steelhead" design.
That gives them a light tip with good backbone.
The responsive graphite helps telegraph whats happening.

Here is a link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]#*

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 12, 2012 05:19PM

Listen to Tony!! He knows Michigan salmon/walleye as well or better than anyone around.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jason Ferdig (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2012 05:50PM

Thanks for the input guys I think I am going to give the MHX a try, I hear lots of good things about Baston and MHX both but as always price is an important factor when trying to get a whole new setup.

Port Huron, MI

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 12, 2012 08:14PM

Welcome to the board Jason. I would like to invite you the the first gathering of Michigan Rod Builders on March 24th. Tony will be there and you can pick his brain a little more. Free, fun, food, free stuff. Check out our website Michigan Rod Builders See the flier on the "Round Up" page. It is in North Branch, just a short drive for you.

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.196.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: February 12, 2012 09:21PM

I have used Batson RDR's in the past with great luck also, they are a little faster action as they are a blend. For what you described, you can't go wrong with the MHX though. I have a set of four of them right now mid build as longer rigger rods for a charter captain.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 16, 2012 12:44PM

The RDR86MH and BP1024 should cover most of the fishing you plan to do. They have been the two favorites for many years now. I have been fishing the BP1265 and 1266 lately and really love tha action.

RDR86MH
Rainshadow Downrigger Spiral Wrap

Component Part Number Part Description
Rod Blank Model # RDR86MH-GB 8'6" 2 pc Medium Hvy downrigger
Butt Cap: SBC20B Butt Cap 19.8mm ID-Black
Reel Seat: GT18C + GT18C-SN-B Grpht Trgr w/cush R/S10.5mm -Black
Reel Seat Shim: Shim18Cast .710" OD 4.00" Length
Fore Grip: FG35A-250 3 1/2" Cork Fore Grip 'A'
Rear Grip: WHGRY-12 12" Woven Graphite Handle-Grey (1.05" OD / .970" ID)
Rear Grip Arbor: WHKA x 4 + WBBC + WBTC Woven Handle Kit Arbor Woven Bushing Butt CapWoven Bushing Trigger Cast
Winding Check: BWC13 Winding Check .35" I.D.-Black
Hookeeper: BHKS Small Black Hook Keeper
Tip Top XBPPLT07R07.5 SS316-RRD 'P' Top 07 'H' ring 7.5 tube - DBC/Black-ALPS
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XBLXNLG SS316-LXN Guide w/'H' ring - DBC/Black-ALPS
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XBMXNLG SS316-MXN Guide w/'H' ring - DBC/Black-ALPS
Guide order from the tip top Guide Guide Placement - In inches from the tip top
1st XBLXNLG07 3.75" 180 degrees
2nd XBLXNLG07 7.75" 180 degrees
3rd XBLXNLG07 12.25" 180 degrees
4th XBLXNLG07 17.25" 180 degrees
5th XBLXNLG08 23.5" 180 degrees
6th XBMXNLG08 30" 180 degrees
7th XBMXNLG10 37" 170 degrees
8th XBMXNLG10 45" 145 degrees
9th XBMXNLG12 54" 90 degrees
10th XBMXNLG16 63.5" 20-30 degrees

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster