I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji SK2 seats
Posted by: Rod Carlson (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: February 08, 2012 06:07AM

I'm looking at building a couple of rods with split grips but haven't attempted this style before. It appears some winding checks are inside the down locking hoods? If so when ordering these from vendors you would need to be absolutely clear as regards to measurements? I imagine it would be a bit tricky as most people would have different ideas on placement of seats? Of course I could just need new glasses!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji SK2 seats
Posted by: David Stanfield (---.knology.net)
Date: February 08, 2012 09:54AM

I have built several rods with split grips using the SK2 seats and the winding checks.Yes, you must size the I.D. of the winding check to fit the O.D. of the blank where you will locate the seat.. While the winding checks fit snugly into the SK2 reel seats, there is a word of caution. Cut the graphite reel seat arbors off 1/16" short of the reel seat ends. If you don't, the winding check will not seat properly. I know from experience. Good Luck.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 08, 2012 10:16AM

Can't one glue it all together and then ream it as one unit to fit if the fit is slightly off

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 08, 2012 11:01AM

If you size the winding check properly it should not need any reaming. In addition, if you ream using a drill you risk burring, or even melting the ID of the winding check. The best solution will always be a properly sized winding check. Ream the body and hood assemblies to fit , place the winding checks in position with no epoxy, epoxy the hood and body into a final position and BEFORE THE EPOXY SETS add some epoxy to the winding checks and push them into position on the front and back of the SK2 pieces. Using this method, the winding checks will perfectly align the seat on the blank. Don't forget the winding checks on the inside of the seat, under the reel foot...you can't go back.

Date: February 08, 2012 11:20AM

These are made of what - rubber ?? No just checked

They are graphite - nylon so they can be reamed - of course carefully

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Adam Curtis (74.7.62.---)
Date: February 08, 2012 01:31PM

Measure to fit, no need to ream. Just installed them on a Viper blank and they look great. Not flashy but clean. They "pop" into place so the fit is perfect.

Built 5 rods so far with the SK2.

I will say to be careful if you want a foregrip, there isnt much room to work with on the hood side of things.

Date: February 08, 2012 01:59PM

I am just thinking --- things happen and If Needed they can be reamed Graphite and nylon

Just like seats I get them a little smaller them ream for a perfect fit

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 08, 2012 02:33PM

There's a reason why manufacturers offer a wide variety of seats and winding ck sizes and that's so you can use the correct size when fitting your parts together. Jim Ising hit the nail on the head with his answer above. I don't see why anyone would want to ream a winding ck to fit when you can get the correct size to start with. If a customer needs the correct size and doesn't know it all he has to do is ask the supplier that he buys his blank from to fit the parts together to fit the length handle that he chooses, that is if the supplier handles said winding checks and reel seats. I do it all the time.

Lance

Posted by: Derek Rogers (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2012 02:55PM

Ok to bill's defence, he is saying in a pinch, if for some reason you got the wrong one and didnt have time to rma it back and get a replacement, if the check is too small it can be reamed

Strong wraps, calm seas
Derek

Date: February 08, 2012 03:08PM

I had gotten an orange eva grip of the large ID wrong
sat there trying to figure out how I could fill the ID to fit the blank
Took almost two weeks to get the correct size

Stuff happens ???

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 08, 2012 07:54PM

Cheers for the info - I also see there are silver & gold checks which look nice, have looked at a few vendors but they only stock the grey ones. Also there is a handle grip for casting but not spinning? Couldn't I just use them anyway?? Sorry about the questions but I would like to order a dozen kits and just need to be sure. Looking at Anglers Resource the shot of the two kits are exactly what I'm after..are the butt grips also Fuji?

Thank you
Rod

Posted by: mike harris (174.136.133.---)
Date: February 09, 2012 09:05AM

Now if we could just get some SK2 seats………………….

Date: February 09, 2012 09:16AM

Check out these checks [www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 09, 2012 09:35AM

A cork foregrip for the spinning body is coming soon. It's actually nothing more than a smidge of cork for your thumb to rest on when casting but if you've ever dealt with the threaded barrel working on your thumb all day, you'll like this little guy. We also have a cork rear grip for the spinning body that we'll have in a month or two (it would be used for downlocking set-ups). Again it is a fairly short, small diameter piece designed for the area your pinky finger would hit the blank. Both are designed to keep weight down. I hope to have samples of this cork at the Expo.

Also, we noticed that the current selection of SK2 cork is primarily for lighter rods due to the narrow rubberized cork end that will not accept a larger size winding check (see web images). We are working on a new selection that will feature an 18 mm end that will ream larger and accept our largest winding checks . We will have all these new items in cork and EVA.

The metallized winding checks are very nice, using an upgraded manufacturing technique that is suppose to hold up much better than in the past. We are waiting on the first order now and they should be available shortly after we receive them.

By the way, we just received an order of SK2's. Backorders will be shipping in a couple of days we hope.

Posted by: Adam Curtis (74.7.62.---)
Date: February 09, 2012 12:30PM

I've installed their SK2 corks recently. You need a small diameter rod. I had to finely ream the inside down to where there is basically a finger nail width of cork at the end. No winding checks could sit in front of this but I think it gives it a real nice tapered clean look if you can pull it off. Still had some cracking though and had to fill in.

Date: February 09, 2012 12:34PM

Sounds like your better off just making your own

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 09, 2012 02:43PM

Adam: That is exactly the situation the new cork will solve. Stay tuned.

Date: February 09, 2012 05:51PM

Thanks for the heads up, I will probably wait until the larger grips, these will be light saltwater rods. Hopefully Mudhole will stock those metallic winding checks also.

Date: February 09, 2012 06:04PM

Make you own grips

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 09, 2012 07:05PM

Yes, Bill I have wanted to but have never tried it except for shaping preformed ones. I have a power wrapper but don't really have the power to turn cork. The other issue is sourcing the cork block/rings, I live down under in NZ ( next to that tiny island Aussie ) Sometime I'm coming to the States to get some first hand experience with the art of cork work & rod building in general. Would love to have been at this years Rod Expo :-( Maybe next year, can start saving now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster