I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St Croix SCIV or SCV
Posted by: Rob Lawson (---.rivrw6.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: February 06, 2012 03:37AM

Hi
Hoping that you guys might be able to help me out.
I am going to be building a rod for fishing lipless crank baits, primarily Jackall TN60. which weigh about 1/2 oz.
Most of the time these will be hopped along the bottom rather than slow rolled back to the boat.
I am looking at a spiral with micro's. fishing 12lb on a quantum smoke 150.
I was thinking of either a
SCIV 4C72MM
or
SCV 5C72MM-B
The listed specs on these blanks are the same. Can anyone give me some insight on what the difference between them may be in the hand. Unfortunately I am not able to see them in person.
Also would these blanks even be suitable for the application.

For any Australian members who want to weigh in this will be a rod for chasing yellowbelly in impoundments. (Mostly Windamere)

Thanks for any help
Cheers
Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St Croix SCIV or SCV
Posted by: Owen Spalding (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: February 06, 2012 04:03AM

Hi Bob
tried these.?

Samurai N series. (this is Samurai's propaganda on this blank)
6' NV7 6-8kg - A Barra/Cod blank with grunt and big time stopping power . This new model was developed for our north Australian market to use with Mono or Braid in the 6-8 kg range. This lightweight powerful Blank will find favour with those empoundment enthusiasts.

The few i have done end up 145gms finished weight with cork grips for NT impoundment Barra 1mte plus..
not convinced that its perfect for both cod and Barra but 11 out of 10 for the Barra. 1/2oz whats that in Gms.?

Date: February 06, 2012 04:24AM

Hi Owen
Haven't had a play with the NV7 but wasn't particularly impressed with the NV9 or 10 for the purpose frogley's had marketed them.
1/2oz is about 13 or 14 grams.
Will have a look at the NV7 if one crosses my path.
Cheers
Bob

Posted by: Owen Spalding (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: February 06, 2012 04:25AM

1/2 oz is only about 14-15 gms.!!!!... I would think N series wouldn't have the flex to cast something so light....
Heres a dilemma I have found with a good cod rod........theres no such thing...... I made cod rod last year from a Calstar E/glass 195-6H and he loves it. the last was this Samurai NV7 and he loves it....... I personally like the NV7

good luck...

Date: February 06, 2012 04:44AM

Thanks again Owen.
Yeah I am essentially after an impoundment bass rod with a little more in reserve.
The problem I had with the Nv9 & 10 was that they were too stiff, I won't go out of my way to find a 7 but will take a good look at them if I see one.
Cheers
Bob

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 06, 2012 07:28AM

Hi Guys in the Land of Oz -

I respectfully would like to make a contribution to this thread

A lip less crank bait is the same world over.

You will find that some of the best anglers in the world have very special tools in use for moving baits fitted with treble hooks. The small ones present quite a challenge for the designer of the rods and the blanks used.

Please take the opportunity to read:

A. Press Release [www.swamplandtackle.com]

B. Rest of Story [www.swamplandtackle.com]

The RF Legacy Elite 765 is the blank of choice for the lure weights you note: See load comparison. This blank is use to build task specific rods from 6' 6" (Jerks and Topwater) to 7' 6" (Long Throw Cranks) The RF Legacy Elite 721 has more power and is used for larger lures and Deep Divers.

Use the Contact Us Link and we will forward worksheets on both blanks to give you some ideas on actual custom builds on the unique blanks.

[www.swamplandtackle.com] (Shipping is at Cost).

Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.134.---)
Date: February 06, 2012 09:16AM

They're both very good but I guess for the $$$ spent I am back to buying SCIV as they seem to do all I want plus offer a good bit of durability at the same time.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 06, 2012 04:01PM

Hi Rob,
From my few trips to Windamere a long while ago I notice a couple of things, ie a lot of food and very little water movement which equalled a lot of big, fat lazy fish that you had to annoy the @#$%& out of to get a strike on a lure. My best Yellowbelly went 4+kg on 2kg string and the fish was so enthusiastic it didn't take an inch of line and took about a minute to wind in. A 1kg saltwater fish would have pulled it's head off!! A mate got one that went over 5kg and it was exactly the same. My 1kg noodle rod that I use to catch Poddy Mullet would have easily handled anything that we encountered.
Point is you could scale the tackle down a bit which would also help in throwing the 1/2 oz lures. 12lb line sounds like a bit of overkill to me unless things have changed up there or you know a few spots where the fish are on steroids.
I'd be seeing what Bill Stevens has to offer in something a bit lighter.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Rob Lawson (203.8.78.---)
Date: February 06, 2012 05:26PM

Thanks Guys
Bill
Your contribution is more than welcome
I have been reading and watching the techniques and tackle that you guys use over there, as you said a crank bait is the same the world over. And you guys have a wealth of knowledge which is absolutely applicable to fishing over here.
I will certainly take a look through the links you posted. It really is something I have to get my head around moving "back" to glass or composite. Over here for years we have been inundated with marketing that you need the highest modulus graphite and the latest super lines or your not in the race.

Thanks for the input Ken.

Col
Cheers buddy, You are pretty much right, the yellowbelly do fight like a wet sock.
There is a bit more to the story though, and I had left it out earlier so as not to seem like I was trying to find the perfect "all purpose rod".
I have quite a few light sticks which I take with me. At times we have come across some big females ( 60cm+) holed up in tight cover, weed etc which is one of the reasons i want this rod.
I also have access to a private lake which has bass to 8lb and cod to upwards of 50lb. The bass tend to hold in what little cover there is and the cod hold in more open water so 12lb is about right for both of them.

And lets face it, I'm tackle junkie and I need to justify another rod some how :)

Cheers
Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 06, 2012 05:34PM

Do not believe all the Hype it is to catch The Fisherman

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 06, 2012 07:53PM

Hi Bob,
Your not the only one. I've got more rods and gear than I'll ever need but still looking for more.
Look after those fish in that lake. 8lb Bass are as rare as hens teeth and would definitely get the adrenalin pumping when they hit a lure.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2012 08:17PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do not believe all the Hype it is to catch The
> Fisherman

What are you talking about that would be considered "hype"?

Posted by: Rob Lawson (203.8.78.---)
Date: February 06, 2012 08:44PM

Col those fish are well and truly safe ;) you should see them hoover up christmas beetle's off the surface.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster