I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson Blank Question
Posted by: Denis Tessmann (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: February 03, 2012 09:06PM

Hey guys, First post, have been gleaning info for a while. I have a question that I hope I'm on the right forum to get answered. I used to do a lot of fly fishing and recently got back into it after a 20 yr. sabbatical, my old rod was a Sage 2 7wt. I have taken an interest in creek fishing and built myself a 5 wt rod on a Batson rx7 blank. The trouble I'm having is casting the rod. I have to have absolutely perfect timing to get any distance at all, if I'm out even a sliver of timing the cast just falls flat on it's butt. I realize that it is just a five weight but I thought for sure that it would be a little more forgiving than that. My brother gave me a Gloomis 6wt rod to try and it was night and day difference, a little flick of the wrist and zip it was out there. So my question is would it be worth it to try a different line, I'm thinking of going to a 4wt and see if it would make a difference, problem is I don't know anyone that has a 4wt and I don't want to waste money, I figured you guys would have way more experience than me and might shed some light on this for me. The rod feels really quick in my hands, but when I cast it, it seems to be a noodle. I'm not trying to disparage the blank, just seeing if anyone has any ideas, maybe I'm expecting to much? Thanks for reading Denis

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson Blank Question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 03, 2012 09:21PM

More than likely you don't have the right line on the rod for the distance you're casting and fishing.

If you think it's soft or has too little power, try a lighter line. Conversely, if you can't seem to get it to come to life, move up a line size.

When you have the right amount of weight on rod, it's easy to cast. The key with a fly line is to remember that as you more or less line beyond the tip, you change the amount of weight you're hanging on the rod.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: February 03, 2012 09:26PM

Thats my question. WHat weight line and is it sinking or floating?

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Date: February 03, 2012 09:42PM

Doesn't matter which line, I have a floating and a sink tip. As to Toms comment, might be a clue. It feels really good with a short line but as soon as I try and push the distance, unless my timing is perfect, the line just gets blown done by the slightest breeze. It just feels weak with a long line? That's the best way I know how to explain it.

Posted by: kevin gross (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: February 03, 2012 11:28PM

I fish Batson RX-7 blanks and i love them. I would try a lighter line. DId you spine the blank properly when you built it?

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Date: February 03, 2012 11:56PM

Not an expert by any means,first build, but I did a ton of reading and I'm pretty sure I did it right. I'll try and find someone with a 4wt line to try out. What are the chances I got the wrong wt blanks shipped to me and how would I know?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 04, 2012 01:30AM

The best thing is to as Tom stated try different lines

A blank has to have the right amount of weight to load it to - spring - the weight forward Weather it is line or lure it is still weight

You can call the Batsons and ask about what you got They will be glad to help

Try that 6 wt line of your friends and see how the blank handles it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2012 08:39AM

If you have a fly shop near you, ask to demo some different lines, with your rod. Most will have reels lined for the various rods that they sell.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: February 04, 2012 12:32PM

Denis,
I am inclined to think the rod is under-rated and requires a heavier line.
I've had rated 5 weights that didn't cast well until an 8 weight line was utilized.
If you give the rod blank specs ( butt dia, tip dia, length, weight ) I could give a suggestion for proper line weight.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Ken Tong (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 04, 2012 12:46PM

I had the same experience as Eugene, their 5 weight carried 70 feet of 8 weight line in the air with ease for me...I'd try a 5 or 6 line on it.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: February 04, 2012 04:30PM

Check to make sure you have the line on the reel correctly. I went fishing with someone and we discovered his fly line was on backwards. He was trying to cast the level part of a weight forward, instead of casting the thicker belly.

Date: February 04, 2012 08:38PM

The lines are on correctly one has a different color sink tip and they both have a little bump when the WF part ends. I've tried my old 7wt on it but don't remember what it did, that was in the fall. I'll have to try my bro's 6wt and see what that does. The rod is 9' witha .365 butt and a 4.5 tip. weight is 1.74 Thanks for the help guys.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: February 04, 2012 09:12PM

Denis,
Calculations suggest the rod is a fast action 6 weight. Not really that far off.
You might also need to up the casting tempo to put more power in the rod.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 05, 2012 08:53AM

Try the 6 and 7 just to be sure

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 05, 2012 10:48AM

If you're up to speed on the CCS, you can take a simple measurement and know for certain how much power the rod has and then figuring the right line for any distance is pretty simple.

Date: February 08, 2012 12:18AM

Where would I find this information, I saw some numbers on the mud dog sight and thought that might be useful, but where would I find out how to measure. Thanks all for your replies!

Date: February 08, 2012 12:19PM

Very interesting, went on the common cents info web site and studied the document for 2 hrs last night. Set up a test for the rod this morning, turns out my 5wt mod fast rod is a 4wt mod bordering on slow rod. Cents 40 = ern 4.9/ AA 60. Quit useful, as it fits with what the rod was telling me, timing had to be perfect and no reserve power. Any comments?

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2012 08:29PM

The RX7's are not the quickest sticks out there either so your casting stroke may need to be adapted a bit. If you are getting ahead of the rod, you won't get it to load properly and hence the dud. Good luck.

Date: February 08, 2012 08:43PM

You are correct Todd, as I said if my timing was not spot on everything just kind of fell. Problem was by the time my backstroke was straightening it was also in the grass.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster