I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which paint?
Posted by: John Yard (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 31, 2012 05:22PM

I have two 10' fiberglass bunkerspoon rods that I am re-building. I stripped off all of the components and sanded off the old finish. I want to paint the rods black and use LumiSeal as the top coat. My question is what kind of paint should I use? I bought a can of DupiColor black trim paint asuming that if it is good for plastics it would offer some flex and I also bought a can of black epoxy paint. I am not sure which paint would provide the best flexibility and also be compatible with the lumiSeal. Any help would be appreciated.

John Yard
Sea Girt, NJ

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which paint?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2012 09:10PM

John,
Can you simply add black pigment to the Lumiseal?

Roger

Posted by: Garrett Adams (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 31, 2012 10:35PM

Krylon Fusion works like a champ. Rust Oleum hammered finish is pretty neat on rods also. Make sure to let the paint dry for at least 4 days before perma gloss / luma seal. I've painted a bunch of rods in the past and have never had issues.

GOOD LUCK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2012 10:41PM by Garrett Adams.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2012 11:12PM

I have had great luck with the Dupicolor but never tried the Bumper paint. Key is let it dry good and and when applying the Lumiseal go over it once. If you go over it after it is applied it may loosen the color and smear. It is not as hot as PG. I have applied it with the rod turning at the same speed you would apply epoxy finish at and load up a brush and go up the rod. It will level on it own. Support the rod in the areas where the guides go.

John if you want I am a member of Manasquan fishing club. We meet not far from where you live on the first Friday of the month. Why not stop in to see what we have to offer? Send me an email if interested.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2012 11:15PM by Fred Yarmolowicz.

Posted by: Kevin Proctor (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2012 05:21PM

Most automotive urethanes will work well. Follow the instructions and as mentioned, let cure for a few days before top coating.

Posted by: John Yard (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 02, 2012 05:28PM

Thanks for the input ! I am going to get some regular DupiColor and get to work. Next time I stumble across some cheap blanks I will play around with tinting the LumiSeal.

Fred, I will send you an email. Thanks for the offer!

John Yard
Sea Girt, NJ

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 02, 2012 09:22PM

The DupliColor in the Auto Match Metallics are nice in the sun

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster