I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

heating epoxy
Posted by: Frank DeFranco (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2012 08:07PM

I keep reading lately that heating epoxy resin shortens the pot life. I don't know how I stumbled upon this methiod but I have been using it for a while. I did research on getting bubble free glass like finish on my builds.This is what i found . I use a candle warmer to heat both the resin and hardener. I use Threadmaster Lite. I then take a piece of aluminum foil; and lay it over a plastic dish. After the epoxy is heated up I mix the two parts thoroughly and pour it on the foil. I then take a bubble buster and hit the epoxy with the flame to burst all the bubbles. I then dip in my brush and apply to the rod. Is this overkill ? The obvious response will probably be, if it works for me don't change it. I just want to know if I am wasting any time with these steps. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: heating epoxy
Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.sub-75-241-88.myvzw.com)
Date: January 29, 2012 10:30PM

If it works dont change it...be carefull about letting flame touch the epoxy. A bubble free mix doesn't insure no bubbles either, they can come from epoxy expelling air from the thread so always check. But, a bubble free mix is always best. You can get it too warm and cause bubbles, I have with a heat gun. Now I hold my hand directly behind the wrap, if my hand cant take it, it's too hot.

Posted by: Garey Elkins (---.static.meriplex.com)
Date: January 30, 2012 01:27AM

I do the same thing up to pouring on the foil. I usually remove my bubbles after I get it on the wrap with heat though. I was trying to heat from the bottom side of the foil one time and smoked a batch, so I just wait until it is on the guide now.

Posted by: Frank DeFranco (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2012 07:19AM

Thanks guys, I also flame the wrap till the bubbles disappear. Appreciate the feedback

Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bstnma.btas.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2012 08:14AM

I wonder how the rod companies handle their epoxy? Has anyone taken a factory tour to see how the pros do it?
I can't imagine that they have all the trouble we amateur rod builders have with epoxy. Bill

Posted by: Derek Rogers (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2012 12:24PM

I believe their secerete is machines make the rod start to finish (Uglystick and other store brands)

the hand made production rods probably use large batches of epoxy and coat several rods at the same time.

a local tackle center uses a FC high build and the plastic brushes, an epoxy mixer and something for heat, but they are making "custom" rods.

All 3 of them are probably done in temperature controlled rooms with thermastats set between 70 to 72 deg's F

Personally I have only had a problem with bubbles in my epoxy on the one rod where I accidently boiled the epoxy with a heat gun creating more bubbles than i got out.

Strong wraps, calm seas
Derek

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster