I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Expensive, or inexpensive guide on rods?
Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: January 24, 2012 06:18PM

That tag line looks familar Hunter. Maybe I know you from some other forum?

Hey I had rods made out of fencing foils. Nothing wrong with those tru tempers. Good for snakes and thunder storms.

I think you make an important distinction with the salt water usage. It isn't just rust too. In part is how darn fast those fish are and how far they run. It is truly something to see a few hundred yards of line melt off your spool in a new york second. BTW, I use ring locks too.

I'd comment of some of the other stuff but I don't watch tv, don't have a helmet, don't have power windows. I like books and music. I do have A/C (at home) so call me a wimp.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bruce Vetre (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2012 08:21PM

I am always quite shocked, and mostly disappointed, when posters want to enter into trivial word engagement, rather than just sharing knowledge in, well, an open forum. If somehow my words came across that offended someone in some way, well that was never my intention. At the same time, I don’t think I ever sounded like Jesus Christ. What I did give was an honest, accurate assessment of a rod building professional with 30 years of experience.

Roger Wilson Wrote:
Bruce,
You indicated in your post that you could tell the difference in ring and frame materials.

Yes I can! I also agree with Bill Stevens when he wrote: Those who have proven to build the best rods for a specific technique and angler skill level know that all guides are not the same.

Roger Wilson:
So, you are telling me that if you were blind folded and you were given 2 dozen rods, that you would be able to tell me what frame and what ring is on each rod after casting and retrieving each rod a dozen times?

I never once claimed this. Last time I checked, guides were chosen for more than casting and retrieving. Some people out there make your same claim about fishing rods in general, believing that there is no difference between a custom made rods and one off the shelf.

Roger Wilson:
What do you sense in your hand, when you cast and or retrieve that allows you to have this wonderful gift that I am sure that very few other folks in the world enjoy.

Actually, I would find the opposite to be true. Over the years of I’ve had plenty of customers, not rod builders, come into my shop commenting on the difference between the guides they have experienced. The most common one, a rod that feels “crispier” with Titanium guides over stainless. We somehow believe that to be true with micro guides, but can’t believe it with a material that weighs less? As I stated earlier, not everyone can tell the difference, but isn’t that true of so many things. What do I sense? A sense of failure if I don’t give my customer what is best for their priorities

Just wondering: I’m just wondering why someone would start a topic on a forum, which should be for people with a similar passion to share knowledge and experience, only to be rude and condescending when you don’t agree. Maybe it would be more acceptable just to regurgitate what other builders have previously posted and claim it as my own. Thank God there are discerning consumers out there because if not, we might only have Yugos to drive.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.135.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2012 08:23PM

Hunter, you bring back memories. My first fishing rod was a hand-me-down True Temper rod, and it was truly tempered. The rod blank was square and made of tempered steel. I'm sure it would have made a passable fencing foil by cutting off the guides, filing the tip, and re-gripping - or pound it into the roof and behold, a lightening rod!

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 24, 2012 11:07PM

My oh my. Imagine how much fun we would have if we discussed reels and what % of $$$ should allocated to the rod compared to the reel. Never thought I'd see $1,000 spinning reels. Then again I never thought I'd see a 1,000 pound blue fin tamed on a spinning reel.

Me thinks Roger needs a fishing trip to prince edward island for some bluefin. BTW I do too if someone is feeling generous. Nothing like a REEL fish to change your idea of what is needed in tackle.

P.S. Phil don't forget them snakes with that tru temper. The old jon boat can only take so many hits from your trusty colt woodmans when a pesky water moccasion decides to drop in for lunch:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster