I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Do you have gnats in your shop?
Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: January 17, 2012 07:33PM

With the unusually warm fall and winter this year, gnats have been an issue and I am sure I am not alone in dealing with them. I stumbled across a solution that really caught me off guard. I was building int he shop and had gnats and went about my business of applying finish and then turning out the lights and leaving the room totally dark. I turned on another light away from the rods turning in the lathe and left as I usually did. I came back the next day and everything was fine and I went about my business. I really didn't even give it a second thought. I was applying finish the next day and after applying the finish, I took a dish and poured in some denatured alcohol as I have done thousands of times before. This time, I had left the top off of the jug of alcohol and when I poured it into the dish, it was laden with dead gnats! After Christmas, the wife was taking down the decorations and it was unseasonably warm outside. Little did we know, but she brought another whole colony of gnats into the house that had taken up home in the garland on the porch. I put out a dish if DNA and sure enough, it was chock full the next day. I don't know if this is a freak thing that I have experienced here, but its certainly worth a try to rid your rod room of gnats!

Good luck.

Kevin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you have gnats in your shop?
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 17, 2012 10:08PM

Take a used water or soda bottle, fill one third the way with fruit juice (I use cran-apple) and add a drop of dish soap. Leave it open and in the area of the problem. They will fly in to get a drink and with the meniscus broken by the soap they will drown.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 18, 2012 07:57AM

Living in south Georgia, I've dealt with the plaque that are gnats all my life.
Thanks for the tips.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 18, 2012 07:57AM

Living in south Georgia, I've dealt with the plaque that are gnats all my life.
Thanks for the tips.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: January 18, 2012 04:16PM

I don't have a gnat problem just a dog hair problem.
Will this work with dogs too? :D

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: January 19, 2012 07:15AM

Dave Orr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't have a gnat problem just a dog hair
> problem.
> Will this work with dogs too? :D

Buy a vacuum cleaner. And also place diverters on your air ducts to keep them from blowing hair into the air. And Also keep the dogs out of the shop!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2012 11:38AM

In addition, once a week, open all of the windows in your shop after you have really vacuumed out the shop.
Then, bring in an electric leaf blower, and blow out every nook and corner of the shop and continue blowing until everything has been blown out the window.

It works even better if you can put 20 inch window fans near each window facing so that the moving air is directing the air out of doors.

Also, if you have dogs, frequently change the filter in your furnace, and when you change the filter, also use your shop vac - with a long slim Before and after using the vac, empty the vac and clean the vac filter, or replace the vac filter.

It is amazing how much "junk" can get blown out the window every week with an electric leaf blower.

Good luck
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster