I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to polish a rehab blank and...
Posted by: Brian Bishop (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2012 10:20AM

A friend of mine dropped off two of his prized rods for me to replace the guides on. They are St. Croix blanks, and the guides were severely rusted. I have removed all guides and had to sand " lightly " some of the areas where the guides sat (with 400 grit) due to the staining from the rust. How would I polish the entire blank to get that new look, without damaging the blank itself?

Also, I would like to go the extra step and redo all the wrapping. I do not want to remove the actual St. Croix logo or blank ID, but I would like to redo the wrap on either side of the Logo. Would I be able to cut or sand down the finish on each end of the logo to get to the wrap, rewrap, finish over and have it blend as one again?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to polish a rehab blank and...
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 11, 2012 10:29AM

You won't get a "new" look by polishing. You'd have to refinish the blank. The best you can do without a complete refinish job is clean it, and then after affixing and finishing the guides, wax the entire rod.

Posted by: Brian Bishop (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2012 10:35AM

Tom, I guess what Im trying to say is... The areas I had to lightly sand, if you were to take and look at it in the sunlight, you can see a difference in finish in those areas. I would like to try and get an " even finish" look over the entire rod... Is this possible? How would I refinish?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2012 10:36AM by Brian Bishop.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2012 10:39AM

Brian,
Unfortunately, it is likely not possible without stripping and refinishing the entire blank.

If you don't want to strip the entire rod, sometimes the best thing to do is to simply make longer wraps on the guides to cover any slight imperfections near the former guide locations.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: justin keithley (---.ostusa.com)
Date: January 11, 2012 11:29AM

you could try a light rubbing compound on a terry cloth. I used turtle wax automotive rubbing compound to polish a blank i stripped the paint off of, turned out good and doesn't cut very much. I just held the cloth to the blank while it was on the lathe. I would try a test patch somewhere first if you can.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.georgewall.com)
Date: January 11, 2012 12:27PM

If the rust is in the area the guide was removed from and you are not changing the spacing just do a false under wrap to cover the area under the guide. The thread near the logo will come right off. CAREFULLY cut into the wrap horizontal to the blank until you can grab a thread. Then just pull on it and it will unwind and the finish will fly off.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 11, 2012 02:31PM

Since you want to change the thread around the Logo
Go down to the first wrap before the logo from the tip Your saving the logo to the seat
Mask it in the middle of the old wrap
Sand the rod with 400 - 500 grit paper and water get it as smooth as a babies butt Check it I like sunlight Shows more If all looks good And it is DRY One or two coats of Permagloss or LumiSeal
When dry you have a nice hard surface to wrap the new guides on any where you want them

I have done this on about 20 rods making them spiral wraps from conventional

When the clear is dry Sand CAREFULLY the old wraps around the logo add you thread

Refinish the guide wraps and go over the new logo wraps and the logo

It will look like new

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: January 11, 2012 04:38PM

I would scotch brite the whole blank and then give it two coats of Permagloss. I have done this several times and it works really well. Permagloss is amazing stuff!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster