I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel seat thread part came loose?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2012 11:22AM

The reel seat aprt where the hood screws on to tighten down the reel, came loose, so I put some dry wall mesh and then on top of that I winded some size D thread to fill the remaining space , the reel seat part is now snug, then I rod bonded it and now I am waiting hoping it would turn out ok, ?, would this work? I could'nt put an arbor in it since the rod is almost done.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel seat thread part came loose?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2012 12:05PM

Lorenzo,
May I inquire as to why you put size d thread in the space? Was it used to hold the drywall tape in place prior to gluing? If so, I assume that there was considerable space between the wraps so that the glue would penetrate to the blank?

When I have an issue like this on a new build and need to fill space, I just use masking tape, leaving a bit of separation between wraps so that the glue can get to the blank. Very easy quick, inexpensive and fool proof.

The issue that I have with dry wall mesh is that in small areas, it is tough to get wrapped, and then there are issues about the glue penetrating, if there is much build up of tape. But, use the method that works for you and your needs. Anything that gives a stable reel seat for long term use is fine.

Good luck
Roger

Date: January 10, 2012 12:16PM

You got me there! but Thanks Roger!, I took it all off, cause I wrapped the thread all the way with no gaps, so now I am doing it the way you described, Whew!! Thanks again!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2012 04:13PM

Lorenzo,
You can certainly use any method that you like to afix a reel seat to a blank. But it is always in the builders best interest to have a good glue bond to the blank - over and above any wrapping materials.

Good luck
Roger

Date: January 10, 2012 05:36PM

That sounds right, to have it bonded to the blank itself, the way I had it, there was no contact with the blank. I'll know how good it holds tomorrow.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 13, 2012 05:54PM

Lorenzo,
I understand that the seat epoxy is probably now cured - but i'm having difficulty picturing what went wrong.

How much space was thre between the seat and the blank. Why did you not install an arbor?
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster