I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to remove tops from fiberglass boat rods?
Posted by: Steve Chontos (216.130.137.---)
Date: January 04, 2012 04:49PM

I have been having fits trying to remove tip tops from a couple fiberglass boat rods. These rods are 6' 6" medium heavy fiberglass and I removed all wraps and epoxy up to the top before heating it up but they will not budge. I hate to heat the fiberglass up too much for fear of damaging the blank. Can anybody help me out with this?
Thanks,
Steve Chontos

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to remove tops from fiberglass boat rods?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 04, 2012 05:23PM

Rest assured that too much heat, even by a tad, will ruin the tip of a glass rod blank. The resin holding the blank together will melt at a temperature that you'll easily exceed with even a common cigarette lighter.

About the only way to remove them is to spiral cut the tiptop tube while being careful not to cut into the blank tip. Go lightly and as soon as you get close to cutting all the way through insert a screwdriver blade tip into the slot and twist - the tiptop should pop apart and easily come off the rod.

Posted by: Andrew Cake (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2012 05:24PM

I have broken down a few myself. I have found that some of these older rods, they didn't use tip top glue to aheese the tip top on. Instead they used actual 2 part epoxy. it was the craziest thing i saw. I literally had to peel the tip top off.

Posted by: Steve Chontos (216.130.137.---)
Date: January 04, 2012 08:20PM

I guess it's best just to cut any tops from glass blanks. And I guess the small dremel tool with an abrasive wheel is what you all are using?
Thanks for the help,

Steve Chontos

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 04, 2012 08:27PM

I use a file edge. Power tools are great, but they also tend to speed up the rate at which you damage something.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2012 09:43PM

The dremel will also generate heat in a hurry and also cut quicker than you may realize.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: January 05, 2012 06:02AM

sounds good guys, thanks for the info.

Steve

Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 06, 2012 03:44PM

When you heat a old tip top for removal the main thing you are doing is breaking the glue bond. Thats it. Not cooking or melting it. I have had very good success heating tips over a stove top. This is not like cooking a hotdog or a marshmellow. I work the rod tip quickly with a few spins as I go. Then take it out of the heat for a moment. Repeat as necessary and check the tip to see if its removable.The tip out of the heat will still continue to break down the epoxy. Never twist it off. Pull straight off. Needless to say in my younger days I have had some shoot off like rockets and the tip look like and exploding cigar but experience has prevailed and my tip replacements have never come back for repair.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 07, 2012 12:19PM

I have done a lot of those
I use the paper clip and rubber band on the clip the clip on the top

I heat with a candle as it is under pressure You may have to do it several times but when ready it will pop off

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster