I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SPG844 or SPG845 for trolling
Posted by: Mitch Leppelmeier (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 02, 2012 05:29PM

Looking for a glass blank to use as trolling rods. These will be used on lake erie to troll for walleye. They will be used to pull inline planer boards with deep diving crankbaits(reef runner 800's) or worms with inline weights up to 3 oz. Line used will be 10lb mono with Daiwa 27lc reels. Im looing for something with a soft enough tip to not "surge" the inline boards when in waves but that still has the backbone to handle the boards. Ive heard good things about the SPG845 as a downrigger blank, but Im not sure if it has a light enough tip for what I need. Any feedback about what blank would work better would be a great help.

Thanks in Advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SPG844 or SPG845 for trolling
Posted by: Tony Childs (---.196.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: January 02, 2012 06:06PM

I use the 845's for rigger blanks, and like you said, they may be on the heavy side, although would work nice. I haven't built on the 844, so not sure how much it gives up in power. I have to believe that the 845 will be soft enough for your application. Your fish are big enough to justify a little more power. Plus, if you choose to run any short cores or coppers, you will be happy with the extra backbone. On Saginaw Bay, with our smaller average fish, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the 844.

Posted by: Mitch Leppelmeier (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 02, 2012 06:22PM

Thanks for the input Tony. Have you built on a RDR70M? If so, how does it compare to the SPG845? Also, do you think 845's would have the backbone to pull a #1 dipsy in a pinch?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2012 06:24PM by Mitch Leppelmeier.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: January 02, 2012 08:23PM

The SPG845 makes a great big catfish rod also.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Tony Childs (152.72.151.---)
Date: January 03, 2012 06:59AM

I have used the RDR's. Slightly faster action, slightly less power than the SPG845. I pull Slide Divers occasionally for walleye with my SPG845 rigger rods, they work fine. I would hesitate to use them for salmon pulling a diver, they are at about 75% of max pulling a mag diver, a big salmon might ring the bell on the strike. No worries with walleye though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster