I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finesse travel spin blank?
Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.152.---)
Date: December 24, 2011 06:29PM

Looking for a blank for spinning light jigs for bones and similar stuff, travel, so multi piece. Any suggestions? Please forgive the spinning for bones, I'll also be throwing flies, but while my son is engaged with the fly rod, I'd like to throw a few jigs with spin.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finesse travel spin blank?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 24, 2011 07:38PM

Absolutely NO doubt in my mind ... St Croix 3S76MLXF2. There is also a matching case available ... St Croix RC48.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 24, 2011 09:19PM

Ditto what Jim said. I have one and love it for throwing small stuff.

jeremy

Date: December 25, 2011 10:15AM

Thanks, looks fine except I was hoping for 3 piece. I'll have to check with Delta and find out about carrying on something that long, almost 4 feet.

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2011 11:57AM

Michael, Its okay. I did it last week.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 25, 2011 11:57AM

do a search for 3 piece spinning blanks with the specks of the St Croix You should come up with several

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2011 12:24PM

There was a recent post about folks carring 7'6" rods in a two piece version on Airplane carry on with no issue. So, it seems that carrying a near 4 foot tube is a non issue in many airplanes.

Good fishing.
Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2011 12:25PM

Delta luggage regulations:

[www.delta.com]

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 25, 2011 02:49PM

The other option is to purchase a Cabela's Stowaway fly blank (STOW6908B). This is a 9 foot, 8wt in six sections. Cut 3" off the top and bottom sections and go at it. This will give you a GREAT open water flats rod, perfect for wade fishing for bones.

Date: December 25, 2011 05:06PM

The Delta published rules do not permit a carry-on longer than about 30 inches, the "hypotenuse" of the carry on size device. I think I'll stop by the airport and talk to someone in person. I see long tubes going through airports all the time, and there seems to be a way to do it, at least on some airlines.

Thanks for the ideas.The Stowaway is an idea I hadn't thought of. Jim, I would have thought that something more like a 6 weight would be right for the job. I have a 3 wt 7-6 fly blank made into a spinning rod, and it is great for loading properly with 1/8 oz cranks. Extrapolating from that to an 8-seems like the 8 would be right for about 1/4 lures? I'll look into that idea further.

I've been considering extending the 3 piece 7 foot blank to 7-6, which will make the long section about 34 inches long. I think I can get that length into my checked bag.

Bill, I haven't found any 3 piece 7-6 blanks, will do some more searching.

Date: December 25, 2011 05:21PM

The Stowaway is looking better-cost is reasonable - hate to take a $130+ blank and start "cobbling" it. I think I'll tape a spinning reel to my 8 wt fly rod and see what it feels like. I think, however, that the highest reliability solution may still be extending a blank like the SB841B-3. Thanks again for the ideas-work in progress.

Posted by: mark crouse (---.unassigned.ntelos.net)
Date: December 26, 2011 10:09AM

Hi Michael
shoot me an E-mail, and I can help with 4pc Spin blanks from 9-14ft.
Best Regards Mark Crouse- The Munich Rod Man
mscrods@gmail.com

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 26, 2011 11:05AM

Have you considered Batson Forecast Spin Blanks?
Here is a link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: December 26, 2011 12:15PM

How about one of these [www.mudhole.com]

or these at the bottom [www.jannsnetcraft.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Dale Holmes (---.lns4.bat.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 26, 2011 05:06PM

I've built a Batson RX6 SB781-3 (6'6", 6-12lb, 3pc). I've been extremely happy with it so far, from the small amount of time that I've used it.
Its a very fast taper - a thick powerful butt, but still a fairly light tip which will throw quite small lures.
Quite reasonably priced at around $45 (Even less with the 25% discount from Utmost).
I'm hoping to use this for barramundi on a trip to northern Australia this year - I think it will be be quite suitable.

Maybe you could consider this rod or its 7'0" version for your application.

Dale
Hobart, Tasmania
AUSTRALIA

Date: December 26, 2011 05:41PM

The suggestions are appreciated, but I am holding out for a 7' 6" to get longer casting distance. The SB841-3 looks like a good candidate to extend. I have until May, so will be doing more investigating before committing. thanks to all.

Date: December 27, 2011 02:22AM

Extend a 7' and cover with the handle Light rod should be no problem

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 27, 2011 07:50AM

Since you have time perhaps a cheap gamble is worthwhile. Utmost has a 4-pc, 8 foot, 6 weight left for 30 bucks. I bought one of the 3-pc 6 weights in the better "RX8" grade and is more than enough rod. The 5 weight I got in RX7 is much softer/slower though so therein lies the gamble.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.133.---)
Date: January 01, 2012 09:26AM

Decision 90% made, I'm going with a 6 weight 4 piece 8-81/2 foot fly blank built as a spinning rod. I really want it to travel well, and who knows what regulations of the future will bring. I figure that it will be enough rod for the bones-if you can handle a bone with an 8 fly rod, you should be able to handle one with a 6 spinning rod. Thanks for all the tips.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster