I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cleaning between coats "DUST"
Posted by: Jeff Haley (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2011 08:41PM

What do you guys use to get the dust off your thread work?
I need to get the dust off between coats of finish and when I take take pictures you can really see the dust on thread in the pictures..

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: Cleaning between coats "DUST"
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: December 22, 2011 08:51PM

your thread draws the dust to it because of static , your air is to dry you need to do away with sttic on the thread , try a vaporizer in your room or draw the thread through a spounge that is a little damp , I have never used static cling spray but it might work , I am just a newbe but that is how I do it,
Bill

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 22, 2011 09:07PM

Lightly brush with a clean, soft brush. Don't drag anything across the thread.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 22, 2011 09:29PM

Canned air.

DR

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 22, 2011 10:47PM

Since you are finishing the thread I put newspaper under it to catch drips And wet the paper with a spray bottle of water - Not the rod - Then I wet all around the room to keep dust down Also a soft brush like Tom said

All of this helps

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2011 01:25AM

Jeff,
Whenever finishing up the wraps on a rod, I use the 3m blue painters tape to tack off the thread. It does an excellent job of lifting the dust without contaminating the thread.
The tack is light so it has no effect at all on the wrapping.

I know that folks say that you shouldn't put tape on the thread wraps due to residue being left behind. I expect that might be the case with regular masking tape, but I have had no issues at all with the blue 3-m painters tape. (much lighter tack than conventional masking tape.)

It only takes a couple of minutes to tack off everything and then, after guide alignment am ready to apply finish.

Good luck
Roger

Date: December 23, 2011 08:38AM

The tape never moves any of the threads ????

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 23, 2011 09:14AM

Bill,
No,

Remember, when tacking, I am just barly touching the rod. Then, only a small piece of the tape is actually on any thread at any given time. The tape is never wrapped continuously aound the rod, as if you were taping something down.
Rather the tape is wrapped on the hand, and the tape is used like a dust cloth that is essentially rolled against each section of thread as it is tacked off. Again, light touch, with light tack tape does the trick very well.

Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2011 09:16AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 23, 2011 06:32PM

Jeff

I do the same as Roger does. I tear off a 2" piece, make a loop out of it - sticky side out - and stick it to one of my fingers. I then lightly tap it on my wraps as the rod turns slowly. I haven't had any problems with the finish afterward.

Rog

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2011 08:06PM

Ditto on Rogers comment, also try to keep your working area as clean as possible.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Date: December 23, 2011 08:28PM

Furthermore, if you can do all of your dirty work - i.e. sanding, lathe work, mill work or turning - in another building - you can keep all of that dirt and dust out of your rod wrapping and finish area.

Essentially, a good rod building setup - has a clean room - where only wrapping, gluing and finish work is done.

It is much easier to keep a less dusty area if much less dust is present from other sources.

Even though it may not be as convenient, it may be a better solution to move the work elsewhere.

Good wrapping.

Posted by: Robert Page (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 24, 2011 12:12AM

Some great info in this thread. Thanks, guys!

Cheers,
--Rob

Date: December 24, 2011 01:45AM

You guys have lots of great ideas. I built my hobby building out in the backyard , it's very nice and I have finished it with sheet rock and sprayed texture on the inside. Paint and trimmed every thing out.
I have R 30 in the ceiling and R 14 in the walls. No windows? There is heat and air and a vent that exhaust to the outside.
I got a small vac with the mini brush to clean the rods and the shop after I do my sanding and lathe work.
I'm going to use all the ideas you all have given me to achieve a near perfict finish.
If my family would not come in and out I do get a nice finish. I
I mite also do my finish after we put our boy to bed.
Thanks again guys. I will post some pictures of my 8'x16' shop to show you what I work out of later.

Date: December 24, 2011 09:15AM

I know it is family -- but - keep the door locked Or put a coat on leave and then lock the door

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 24, 2011 10:37AM

Jeff,
If you don't have one - pick up an air compressor, a hose and a good blow gun.

Then, after doing any lathe work or sanding, and you finish your vacuuming - use the air compressor.

Use the air compressor to go over every inch of the space with the door open and blow all of the dust out the open door.

It will amaze you how much dust that you will pick up and blow out the door.

If you don't want to spring for an air compressor, pick up an electric leaf blower. An electric leaf blower generates lots of wind and will quickly pick up any residual dust and blow it out the door. You just have to be a bit careful when blowing that you don't blow anything that you want to keep out the door - like cork rods or thread.

The air compressor or leaf blower also works great to blow the collected dust and or standings out of the air filter. Just take it outside, reverse it and blow the filter dust out of the filter. You can get a lot more use out of the filter using these techniques.

Good luck
Roger

Date: December 24, 2011 11:35AM

Thanks Roger
I have a air compresser. I think I'm going to mist the floor with water also

Date: December 24, 2011 12:50PM

Jeff,
If you have a bare concrete floor in the room, you might consider picking up a piece of vinly flooring and lay on the bare concrete floor. You can often pick up a remenant for a small amount of money and having a bare floor covered will also help with the dust.

Roger

Date: December 24, 2011 12:58PM

You can also paint it with a good quality paint This way it should be easier to sweep and or vacuum

Even a good coat on the walls and sealing so dust will not stick and will blow off easy

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster