I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt cap clear coat
Posted by: Obed Patty (---.dhcp.unas.mo.charter.com)
Date: December 22, 2011 12:12PM

I have searched the forum and through the photo album. I tried to do my homework before posting the question; I am still unclear.
I want to place an image on a flat butt cap and then clear over. I did some practice sets with TM, CA, and a hobby resin (Hodge Podge). The CA dried hazy and the hobby resin is too soft. The TM feels hard and is clear, but I worry about the durability. I plan to use the rod (bass fishing) and want the butt end to be durable. If I wanted to clear over the end and leave it exposed as a build up with the clear exposed, what product will work? Imagine that this will look like a dome of clear on a flat end.
Thank you for the help.

Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is the doing something else.
Leonardo da Vinci

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt cap clear coat
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 22, 2011 12:22PM

I'd almost go with some sort of polyester casting resin. You might scratch and dull it over time, but it could be buffed right back up to a high gloss with very little effort.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 22, 2011 01:08PM

They are hot but if you can seal it and put on LumiSeal cause it is thicker Very hard and clear

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Andres Perez (---.coastalsystemsint.com)
Date: December 22, 2011 01:45PM

Obed,

Here is a great idea that Mick McComesky had a few years ago.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Hope this helps,
Andres Perez
Miami, Fl

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2011 05:19PM

Obed,
If it were my rod, I wouldn't make a rounded end cap as you spoke about.
Rather, make the butt cap with an indented end with your work on the indent. That way the surrounding area of the butt cap will protect the nice work.

The butt ends of rods have a very very hard life. Fancy finishes and fancy work with no protection have a rather short rod life.

-
Having said that, I would also use poly resin for the work.

Roger

Posted by: Obed Patty (---.dhcp.unas.mo.charter.com)
Date: December 22, 2011 05:53PM

Thank you for your answers and information. It is appreciated.
I picked up some polyester casting resin and will attempt to make something similar to what Mick created, albeit less pronounced.
I do have some concerns about leaving it exposed, but will experiment and see what happens. It will be a trial.......
I will post pictures when I am finished. Thank you again

Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is the doing something else.
Leonardo da Vinci

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 22, 2011 07:28PM

I've done a logo in the indention of a rubber butt cap recently, I guess I'll have to see how it turns out. I buffed/roughed up the indention and used pigments w/epoxy for back ground color, applied the logo and applied expoy over it. Time will tell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2011 07:45PM by Fred Trahan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster