I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Should i finish a sanded blank?
Posted by: kevin gross (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: December 21, 2011 11:03PM

Here is my question. I found an American Classic Diamond 10wt blank i am going to build into a fly rod for fishing the Kenai in AK. It is a "sanded natural" blank. What are the benefits for finishing the whole blank? Its going to be a rod for a friend to use and a back up for my Batson. Just wondering if i should finish it.

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Should i finish a sanded blank?
Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: December 22, 2011 01:17AM

I don't know how much, but it will add a little weight depending on what method you use. I have heard that if you just use Permagloss or Lumiseal it won't add too much weight and will put a nice finish on the blank.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Joe Azar (---.sub-174-252-202.myvzw.com)
Date: December 22, 2011 05:35AM

Unless you are dragging it through the forest ...
I like the way a finished blank looks. That's just the old school coming out of me.
As far as weight goes. We spend way too much attention to it. We are talking very small amounts.
I seriously doubt there's more than a small handful of members on this board that can notice the weight difference.
Any change in action will be minimal.
Just like in art, do what you like.

Always learning with
Ohio Rod Builders

Joe Azar

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2011 06:23AM

I think that there is 0 advantage to finish the blank and the disadvantage of adding weight to the blank.

With all of the interest these days in saving weight - why would anyone want to add even a grain of weight to a blank?

Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 22, 2011 10:42AM

Painting or finishing a blank, outside of really heavy boat and trolling rods, does add enough weight to be noticeable. The action won't change, but the blank's speed (reaction and recovery time) will indeed change.

You just have to decide on your priority - something prettier or something that performs a little better.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: December 22, 2011 11:42AM

I find myself asking one question though. Why will most companies void a warranty if their finish is removed? If it is nothing but comestic I can't see the need to void a warranty because some DNA emoved the finish. I can understand if it was evident the blank was sanded.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: December 22, 2011 11:50AM

Because they really have no control over how you remove that finish. For every guy that does it correctly, another may do something to harm the blank. It's hard to offer warranties piecemeal - you have to go with an all or nothing approach on this of thing. Trying to state that the warranty still applies if "the finish was removed properly and according to these guidelines..." is most likely more than most want to get involved with.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 22, 2011 11:50AM

here is some thing to ponder
Why when put into the hands of fishermen and them using it and saying it works great - But they don't want a Spiral Wrapped rod because - It Looks Funny ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: December 22, 2011 12:16PM

I personally think glossy black blanks look sharp. So if you do finish the graphite with one of the poly coatings, post up the pics please! It's hard to imagine that Perma gloss is going to add any significant weight.

As an aside--I fished the Kenai sockeye run last year with 8wts, and for this year I'm building a 9wt that I got from Utmost just for a bit more lifting power in the current. Are you fishing for Kings with the 10wt or just looking to chuck and duck to the Sockeyes?

Drew

Date: December 22, 2011 12:23PM

A thin coat of PG would certainly add very little weight compared to paint or a coat of epoxy.

Posted by: Bruce Vetre (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2011 01:39PM

I love the "Naked" blanks. Better performance aside, they always look the same. I can't tell you how many times someone would bring a rod into my shop, that they had for only a couple seasons, and wanted to know "how much to refinish the blank". Some looked horrible, some just a few nicks, and some with the color burnt out on one side from lying on the deck of their bass boat. My customer was always disappointed when I told them what would be involved to fix it correctly, and make the finish look new again. The satin - matte finish of an unfinished blank, contrasted by glossy wraps, looks great. I don't know if there is one advantage to having a finished blank, other than if it's the cosmetics you like.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2011 05:29PM

Bruce has an excellent comment. No finish means no nicks means that the rod continues to look the same no matter the age.

As Mr Kirkman stated - any finish, even PG which would not weigh very much will change the rod somewhat. It is up to you as the builder to decide if you are willing to live with the change to get the look that you want.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Steve Schoene (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 23, 2011 12:38PM

Just what finish would be removed with Denatured Alcohol (DNA)? Surely shellac isn't being used by manufacturers, is it?

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: December 23, 2011 01:03PM

Steve, I dunno what the finish is. It used to happen with some of the St. Croix's. I normally use iso but am pretty sure I just removed a black gloss finish off a lamiglas tri-flex with DNA.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: December 23, 2011 02:32PM

I think I read a post about Thomas and Thomas also

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 23, 2011 02:33PM

I think I read a post about Thomas and Thomas also Glad I am now spraying mine with 2 K clears

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 24, 2011 04:07PM

Kevin,

Here is a link to our library that I found very helpful and gives a good bit of insight on the subject your talking about!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

H-Holidays !

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster