I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides too wide
Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 12:35PM

When wrapping singlefoot guides on small diameter blanks , for lack of a better term,the "barb" that is close behind the foot ramp causes thread seperation.
I wundered if anyone files them off. I have taken the sharp angle off but still can't even pack the threads tight enough. I am thinking file them off and do a Forhan lock wrap. That should be sufficient to hold them in should'nt it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides too wide
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 14, 2011 12:52PM

That's what I do and I'm sure many other do. Use a grinder, Dremel or belt sander. I use a Forhan wrap on every guide that I wrap. May not always be necessary but takes a minute and is another thing that you can point out to customers that factory rods DON'T have!! It impresses them

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 01:48PM

Jim what guide (manufacturer) and size is giving you problems? Also what size thread?.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 02:26PM

Try a search here for Guide Prep

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 02:29PM

Jim,
Any time that the barb - is larger than the diameter of the blank - grind them off. You really don't want the guide overhanging the blank.

It only takes a second or two. Just be sure that you use a good locking wrap on the guide if you do file the barbs off which are designed to hold the thread tight on the guide.

Take care
REW

Date: December 14, 2011 02:54PM

DYNAFLO SINGLE FOOT BLACK #6. Pro Wrap size "A". They arent wider than the diameter of the blank but they dont conform to it either. Thread comes off the barb and straight down to the blank at that point. I'm wrapping two identical blanks/components. The first went so fast and easy, the second is a real pain. The thread keeps slipping when starting and loosens when aligning guides unless I burry ending wrapping tag 10-11 threads deep. I've tried all tension settings. The best soultion I found for starting is to make two turns and then cross over to hold them from slipping, I just don't like that look. Blanks were cleaned with DNA before and after seat and handle installation and in one spot that was giving me fits, I cleaned again. I think it is the thread, I've run into that before.

Date: December 14, 2011 03:30PM

Jim,
You do prep the guides first and have the ends razor thin don't you?
You also start wrapping on the blank, and wind toward the guide foot don't you?

If you do both of these things and have nice tight tension, your problem really should go away. I like to keep the tension so tight, that I can JUST barely align the guide. Then, it stays in place with no thread slippage.

Roger

Date: December 14, 2011 05:00PM

Not too razor thin but yes, and I start on the blank.

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.sub-75-219-172.myvzw.com)
Date: December 14, 2011 11:43PM

Removed and redressed guids to eliminate the barb and retied with a lock wrap. everything stayed tight....

Date: December 15, 2011 12:32PM

Try it without wiping gown with DNA, No need for it and it MIGHT be making the blank a little slicker. I don't like using any solvents on a blank unless I am cleaning epoxy or something off of it.. Solvents can also leave residue from additives.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: December 15, 2011 06:46PM

Before starting any build, I always wipe it down with DNA. I want to be sure that there is no wax, finger prints or other issues with the blank.
Ihavee never seen an issue with DNA on a blank, as long as the DNA is 100% dry before starting any build on the blank.

Roger

Date: December 15, 2011 06:58PM

I never use it and never had a problem either. Don't see the point!! I HAVE seen DNA remove finish on a blank

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster