I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

turning mandrel help
Posted by: BILL EASTON (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 11, 2011 03:03PM

I just orderd the alps chuck and pac bay tail stock for my bench for turning eva and cork 3/4 to 1 " inside diameter I cant find any mandrel over 3/4 " diameter do I need to contact machine shop or what ? Any help would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: turning mandrel help
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 11, 2011 03:18PM

Here Check this post and maybe they can make you one to fit [rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 11, 2011 03:29PM

I have a 3/4" X 10" mandrel in stock. Please call or email with questions or to order.

Lance

Date: December 11, 2011 04:14PM

I saw those I need bigger I will call this week thanks for your help
lance

Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: December 11, 2011 06:03PM

Lynn at Backlash Tools can make any size you want.From a previous post ,if I understand correctly,Lance at Swampland Tackle,is handling all of his ordersnow.He does excellent work and the threaded TK Mandrels are the cats meow.He made a very wise choice imo as to Lance taking care of his orders also.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.yousq.net)
Date: December 11, 2011 07:09PM

I make my own bushings for my 5/16" and 3/8" mandrels, you can make them as large as you want. The other thing you can do with bushings that you can't do with a plain mandrel is make the hole two different sizes to accommodate a steep taper blank. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: December 12, 2011 03:02AM

I talked to Lance today. He missed my call but called me back within a few minutes, and was very helpful. Not to mention it was Sunday afternoon. Already impressed with service

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2011 09:49AM

Bill,
For that size, aluminum will work just fine.
Go to an aluminum supply yard, and have them chop off a piece of aluminum round stock in the size that you need.

It should cost you a dollar or two for what you need.

You can use your lathe do do a center point drill in the center of the rod, for your tail stock support.

Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2011 09:53AM

Bill,
When I made my drum dryer, I needed a piece of 7/8th stock for the bearing end of the dryer.

I picked up a 4 foot piece of 7/8th aluminum stock for $3 at the aluminum supply yard.

For the end of the dryer bearing support, I then needed to center drill and tap the center of the stock with 1/2 X 20 threads. With the lathe, it was a simple matter to center drill and tap the end of the stock for the bearing support.
You should have no issue at all if you have a decent lathe like it sounds like you do.

Take care
Roger

Date: December 12, 2011 02:34PM

Thanks Roger for your help the only problem is I don't have a lathe. I was in the market for one but instead I decided to upgrade my wrapper with alps chuck and Pac Bay tail stock. I decided to pick up two old used rods from the flea market one eva and one cork. I cut them off a few inches above the for grip and turned them on my stock rod wrapper before I bought the chuck and tail stock. Using a rasp and some sandpaper I riped them down and reshaped and smoothed them out in little time with results that where not to bad I think with the upgrades it will do a nice job. The lathe I have my hart set on is around 7 big ones. I would be to broke for rod components after that kind of purchase . Maybe in a few years. But anyways I do have a friend that a machinist. He is making me one today for free. Don't worry Swamp Land I appreciate the the good service and will be back for some future purchases.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 12, 2011 02:49PM

If you have a drill with a adjustable speed that locks in place you can make a lath I have one that I have done cork, eva and a little wood work

You can get a very good lath for a LOT less them 700.00 Do a search here

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2011 02:56PM by bill boettcher.

Date: December 12, 2011 06:18PM

Thanks Bill I have seen lathes as low as $150.00 it just so happens the one I want is a lot more.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster