I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with a Tip Top Please
Posted by: Skipp Hughes (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2011 01:56PM

I got a Musky Rod in for a Tip Replacement and I am striking out on finding the right one. I'm hoping somebody can help me out

The rod is a Tooth Tamer 8 Ft Heavy 80 to 120 Lb line

The tip measures 13/64 and the ring is a 6 MM Black in color

Can you help a fella out?

Thanks
Skip

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with a Tip Top Please
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 10, 2011 03:00PM

Sorry Skipp but I think that animals extinct. I've never ran across a tip with that large of a tube size, and that small of a ring.

Lance

Date: December 10, 2011 04:10PM

I'm beginning to think that... What makes me think they are still out there is this guy is still having them Imported and selling them online.. I find it hard to believe they can be proprietary .

I could go up to an 8 MM Ring if I had to

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: December 10, 2011 04:59PM

Skip:

Do a search on the internet for the name on this rod. Their web site says they have a limited lifetime warrantee, and their is contact information on the web site. Someone there should be able to point you in the right direction on locating the tip top.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Date: December 10, 2011 05:08PM

I already did that.... My customer and I have both been trying to contact him for over a month..... Aggravating to say the least

Date: December 10, 2011 06:38PM

Skipp:

take a look at the Batson Alps tip tops. They show several tip tops with a 13/64" tube and 6mm ring in black (that is if I am reading the catalog right). I would give them a call just to make sure.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Date: December 10, 2011 07:04PM

Mike I had already looked in their catalog and Website and didn't see it ... I just looked again and still can't see it ..... Am I Blind or just old?

Do you have any part numbers?

Thanks

Date: December 10, 2011 09:14PM

Skipp:

Never mind. I went back and looked, and actually had to figure out the part number system. They don't show them.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Date: December 10, 2011 09:49PM

Figures at least know I'm not blind...... HAHA

There has to be some thing out there

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.144.---)
Date: December 11, 2011 10:01AM

the only thing that might work, but seems too fragile to me for a muskie rod, is to try a guide like a TLSG single foot titanium guide, epoxy to the blank, then double wrap without CP. I think the guide will hold up, the Fuji titaniums are very strong/rigid/tough, but would question the winding's ability to stay secure. Anyone have any experience with this? If it doesn't hold up, you haven't lost much-just back where you started.

Date: December 11, 2011 03:15PM

Skipp:

I had to do some searching on line, and then go to my hard copy of Anglers Workshop catalog. I ran across a post on a website from 2009 where one of the people from Tooth Tamer rods said that the guides were alconite. I also located a recent web page for Tooth Tamer on one of the social websites. I have posted a question there. Anglers Workshop shows a Fuji BMNAT tip top with a 6mm ring, and tube sizes from 4mm through 7mm. the 13/64" works out to 5.12mm. These are black. They also show a Fuji BFAT tip top in black with a 6mm ring, and tube size from 4mm through 6.5mm. These are all in Alconite.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.144.---)
Date: December 11, 2011 05:03PM

I think the "7" on the BMNAT chart means 7/64, not 7 mm. I hope I'm wrong, you'll have your tip top. But I think you are still looking.

Date: December 11, 2011 06:14PM

Once again I screwed up. I was looking at the tube size in the catalog, and then looked again. These are sized in 64ths and not MM. how do you come up with a 5.5/64th of an inch? I tried. I am now really confused. Skipp: I will let you know if I get anything from my question to the "social" website.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Date: December 11, 2011 07:55PM

Skipp: now that I have shown the world of rod builders just how dumb I am, and spending some time searching both the internet, and my somewhat cobweb covered memory, I have a question for you. When you measured the size of the ring, did you measure the inside diameter of the ring, or the outside? This is a common mistake when sizing guides and tip tops. The guides are sized by the outside diameter of the ring. If you measured the inside diameter, this would put your tip top around a size 10 or 12. Fuji has size 12 Alconite tip tops in both their BMNAT and BMGAT lines that will fit your rod.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 12, 2011 09:05AM

Skipp

Get your self one of these Easy to measure [www.mudhole.com] I like the Pac Bay better then the Fuji

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 12, 2011 11:44AM

Bill

I have one I used it always do I don't guess at sizes

Date: December 12, 2011 02:14PM

Then why are you worrying about fractions You stick the tip in the little hole and there is a number buy it 4.5 7.0 whatever then look at guides the same or similar color with a 6 - 7 ring and the same tube as the gage tells you
I look at guides on Mud Hole and tops are in both ring- tube of say 5.0 and mm

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 12, 2011 02:17PM

Skipp:

I made contact with Bill Green the owner of Tooth Tamer rods. He is looking up the information on what tip top was used on your rod, and will get back to me. I will let you know what he has to say.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Date: December 12, 2011 02:26PM

here is a site that will change any measurement to what you may need
[www.lambron.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 12, 2011 02:40PM

Mike Bradford Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Skipp:
>
> I made contact with Bill Green the owner of Tooth
> Tamer rods. He is looking up the information on
> what tip top was used on your rod, and will get
> back to me. I will let you know what he has to
> say.

Thanks Mike for some reason he never did contact me or my customer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster