I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spraying Rods
Posted by: Ross McKay (---.41.176.94.threembb.co.uk)
Date: December 09, 2011 04:04AM

Hi all,
I'm fairly new to rod building (about a year) but as I have been getting a little better I have been doing more work for other anglers, however at the moment unless the blank is ok I have been stripping it down to bare carbon then sealing it with bonda seal, it does give the rod a nice finish, but more people are asking about getting their rods back to black, blue etc.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated

I have really enjoyed reading some of the topics and looking at some wonderful work

Cheers

Ross (Scotland)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spraying Rods
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 09, 2011 06:33AM

My first question would be, why are you building on blanks that aren't okay? Perhaps I'm not reading something correctly.

I would think you could tint the Bona Seal and kill two birds with one stone.

Date: December 09, 2011 09:05AM

Sorry should have said rebuilds
Some people have sent rods to me for a rebuild, sometimes they are pretty knocked up.

Is there a tint you can buy for bonda seal ? That would be ideal

Thanks for your reply

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.245.---)
Date: December 09, 2011 09:07AM

Ross appears to be rebuilding rods for the most part. Try tinting the bonda seal, or paint with automotive bumper paint or krylon style plastic paints, then clear coat.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.245.---)
Date: December 09, 2011 09:08AM

Check with the manufacturer. otherwise, automotive tints should work.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Date: December 09, 2011 09:55AM

Thanks for the advice,
I did try enamel spray paint once before and the finish looked excellent but as soon as I applied bonda seal it stripped the paint off, I was advised it may not have been dried thoroughly,

Thanks

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 09, 2011 10:45AM

I have used Dupli color auto spray and put either permagloss or LumiSeal over that with good results

Enamels tend to take several weeks to really cure so I always look for lacquers

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 09, 2011 11:48AM

Thanks for that Bill is there a recommended drying time for Dupli-colour ?

Will give it a try, maybe worth a mention it's usually salt water beach rods I work with (and use)

Date: December 09, 2011 12:00PM

24 - 48 hours works for me Depending on how warm it is If you coat with permagloss be fast that is hot stuff

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Spence (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2011 04:52PM

I bought some Trans-Tint Dyes from Rockler Woodworking to dye guitar bodies-fantastic product and very concentrated. The $20 bottle might last years in rodbuilding applications and the colors are gorgeous. Mixes with epoxy, lacquer, denatured alcohol, lacquer thinner, etc. Give 'em a look.

Date: December 11, 2011 11:25AM

i got these many years ago in the small containers I also got small bottles from testors There plastic containers are no good
[www.tapplastics.com];

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Scott Backholm (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2011 11:37AM

Sorry to jump on the post here. Everyone has always said automotive bumper paint, will auto paint work as well? It is a price thing? I have a good friend who owns a body shop and told me he would just hit the rod after doing a vehicle so it wouldnt cost me anything. Or, is it a flex issue?

thanks

Date: December 11, 2011 11:51AM

I have just gotten Klass Kote Urethane clear Mixed it and sprayed on a blank The next day it was hard and I could not put a Thumb Nail in it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ross McKay (---.40.58.72.threembb.co.uk)
Date: December 13, 2011 02:13AM

Thanks for all your replies lads

Very good site and Im sure I'l learn lots in time :)

Ross (Scotland)

Posted by: Ross McKay (---.40.214.117.threembb.co.uk)
Date: December 31, 2011 11:08AM

Well I have resprayed a skate rod using the enamel again but this time Im leaving it to dry I done it on Xmas eve (24th) and will be trying again in the next day or 2, fingers crossed it works better this time as the finish looks superb

Date: December 31, 2011 01:03PM

You can also spray with an auto paint such as DupliColor I let dry overnight Then a Quick coat of LumiSeal

Try a spot with the thumbnail to see if it gets hard

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster