I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

EDGE fishing rods.
Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2011 09:34AM

North Fork Stepping into the rod business?

[www.edgerods.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EDGE fishing rods.
Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.245.---)
Date: December 08, 2011 10:32AM

Yup.

[northforkcomposites.com]

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 08, 2011 10:35AM

Commerclal rods fuel sales for blanks. Once fishermen begin buying Edge rods and the brand is built, more guys will inquire about having rods made on the same blanks. This was true at LCI and G. Loomis and will no doubt be true of NFC.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 08, 2011 11:00AM

like the guy that wanted me to build him a Loomis rod that went off the shelf for 450.00 for 300.00 with the blank at 200.00

I gave him a price and he went to the off the shelf rod Don't make sense

The Black Hole blanks are 160.00 add components - time- glue- finish Knock off what 20% O yea - profit
The rod goes for 360.00

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2011 11:12AM by bill boettcher.

Date: December 08, 2011 11:27AM

I think I'm with Tom on this one.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2011 03:44PM

Probably will help sales of blanks, at least in the short run. Most fishermen don't know anything about Northfork right now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2011 03:48PM by Bob Riggins.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 08, 2011 03:47PM

Keep in mind that G. Loomis, Inc. offered and sold blanks to custom rod builders for some 30 years before discontinuing that practice. I'd say that if NFC does the same, most of us will be covered for the remainder of our lives.

Date: December 08, 2011 05:53PM

I have also seen Spiral wrapped rods being offered

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2011 02:03AM

It may fuel requests for builds on those particular blanks, but just like with St Croix, expect the blanks to retail for the price of a completed rod from the manufacturer.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2011 07:07AM

George Forster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It may fuel requests for builds on those
> particular blanks, but just like with St Croix,
> expect the blanks to retail for the price of a
> completed rod from the manufacturer.

This is NOT an accurate statement. Let's take one specific example ... St Croix Elite Saltwater 9'0", 8 wt. The factory rod retails for $470, the blank retails for $285. According to my calculator, the blank sells for approximately 40% less than the finished rod. What I would also like to point out is the fact that these are RETAIL comparisons. A professional builder, with proper credentials, would purchase that blank at wholesale ... leaving even more of a difference between a factory rod and blank for building.

Tom is 100% correct, the NFC case can ONLY be of benefit as it is currently slated to function. For NFC to have a chance, they are going to have to generate widespread market interest, which won't happen with a blank only program ... as has been the case for the last two years.

IMO, this is a GREAT thing and my only wish would be that the factory rod program make lots of noise on the street.

Date: December 09, 2011 09:00AM

I am only saying that given that St Croix plus all parts Ya build it for 450.00 parts knock off 20%

Is the 20% labor ???
Good for them

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2011 09:45AM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am only saying that given that St Croix plus all
> parts Ya build it for 450.00 parts knock off 20%
>
>
> Is the 20% labor ???
> Good for them

What???????

Date: December 09, 2011 09:50AM

What --- What ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 09, 2011 10:20AM

I'm confused

Date: December 09, 2011 10:28AM

I was just pricing out the parts on the St Croix rod mentioned to figure if I bought and built it what it would cost

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2011 02:33PM

I can build the above mentioned rod ... St Croix SC5/6 9'0"' 8wt Saltwater for approximately 58% of the retail price of the equivalent factory finished rod. That allows for a considerable gross margin on a custom build - not to mention any profit derived from upgrades such as better cork, titanium hardware, inscriptions, leather case in lieu of cordura, etc. This doesn't even account for any additional profits added on by the sale of a reel, backing, line, etc. all of which are available to a professionally licensed full-time builder.

Again, I see nothing but a positive ... this move will bring recognition to a currently obscure brand. We should only wish for more high-priced offerings and fewer budget brands. Sales margin is a wonderful thing.

Date: December 09, 2011 02:48PM

Correct me if I am wrong And i guess you will Are you not associated with a Supplier ??

And are you not one of those that posts all the high end how to's that I for one can not understand

And who the heck is giving 58% discount on parts ????

I don't wright this stuff down in my little book

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2011 02:58PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2011 05:06PM

I am not "associated" with a supplier in any financial sense. I do have my favorites, like anyone here. I am very fond of high-end blanks, I love the performance aspect. I am also a huge supporter of US made blanks and components.

The 58% figure is my total cost on ALL components to build that rod as an comparable custom VERSUS the full retail of the factory rod. In other words, I can build it for approximately $275.00 - including the matching case.

Point is that the cost structures of a full-time licensed builder are MORE than sufficient to compete against factory offerings to those that understand and appreciate commissioned work.

Date: December 09, 2011 07:36PM

I have to suspect that the builder only market is dominated by lower priced/end blanks for a reason. Lets face it the common business model for builder blanks is one that allows your average hobbiest to build MULTIPLE rods and enjoy the hobby of simply building rods for friends and family that are pretty good bang for the buck. Most customers that go to "professional" builders for "high end" rods generally request the higher end "production" blanks like Sage, Winston, Loomis Etc. For whatever reason guys who want to spend the big money want brand recognition, or at the very least a tried and true high end blank.

I respect North Fork, for originally trying a different model that catered to builders only via a builders program wich was to allow the public to go to registered builders for their high end North Fork product. 1 or 2 years later and I don't exactly see builders knocking down the door to be part of this program (looks like 14 to be exact). In fact, for whatever reason I can still hardly find a rod review. I understand that northfork makes blanks for a good number of companies out there, but its becoming obvious that its essential that they get some brand recognition from the "production" side in order to feed the high end builders market.

There are only two options to pursue. Either spend a ton of money on advertising to the production buyer about the builders program which for whatever reason many builders havent signed on to, or get some product out there on their own and let the rods speak for themselves.

They cant sit back and wait several years for builders finally to commit to trying one of their blanks. On the other hand If they put a great product out there, customers will be more likely to want to build custom on their blanks. Thats the way I see it anyway.

Date: December 10, 2011 08:28AM

Jim

At 58% Who do you know If you get all you parts at that cost The profit margin is Real Nice

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster