I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Product purchase question
Posted by: Adam Curtis (74.7.62.---)
Date: November 30, 2011 12:42PM

Hi guys,

I had a question about purchasing blanks and the condition of them when you receive them. I'm new to the craft so this is an honest question I was hoping to get feedback on.

When you order a brand new blank, should that blank arrive already removed from its plastic packaging and with china markings on it? Is this like going to home depot and getting a 2x4 that already has pencil on it or should that puppy be new?

Thank you for your time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Product purchase question
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 30, 2011 01:11PM

I have never seen one with china markings on it. As to the plastic bag, that depends on the company. They should definitely be new!! It will usually have a label (usually on the butt) with blank info on it. You didn't say, but hopefully you aren't buying from an @#$%& site where you have no way of knowing what you are actually getting. Stick and you will be fine with reputable vendors such as any of those on the left

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 30, 2011 01:23PM

Adam;
When I buy blanks, I always buy from the Vendors on the left side of this page. They always come in a plastic sleeve with a sticker on the butt giving the nomenclature of the blank. Some even come with separate decals packed inside the sleeve. When they come packaged this way, I am assured they are top quality, number one blanks.They never have markings on them with a china marker.
I would be leary of them if they came packed as you described.

Mike; we were typing at the same time. I guess you use more fingers than I do.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2011 01:27PM by Jay Hunt.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 30, 2011 01:25PM

First quality rod blanks from reputable manufacturers include a label on the blank and are generally packed in a poly bag with header card.

Date: November 30, 2011 01:29PM

This blank was from a dealer on the left. It was packaged as you say, with the header card, blank decal and plastic poly bag however the plastic bag was opened, the blank removed and a black china marker marking was on it. The blank number sticker on the butt also had handwriting over one of the numbers changing it from a 2 to a 3.

I'm gathering this isnt normal?

Date: November 30, 2011 01:34PM

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2011 03:26PM by Adam Curtis.

Date: November 30, 2011 01:39PM

No it's not. I'd check with the dealer. It may be something that someone returned. Either way, if you're not comfortable with it, ask for a replacement.

Date: November 30, 2011 01:48PM

I'm wondering why it was shipped in the first place? Pretty obvious black marking on a white blank.

Hey, now I know. I'll adjust my purchasing habits accordingly!

Thanks guys!

Posted by: mike harris (---.cluster-h.websense.net)
Date: November 30, 2011 02:02PM

That is actually pretty common, if you ask the dealer to check fit a reel seat, size winding checks or fit something else. It is a nice service that the dealer provides, if you didn’t request anything like that it is possible they test fitted the blank for another customer, the sale fell through and they put it back into stock. Most dealers wouldn’t see this as a big deal since nearly every custom builder puts his own marks on the blank as soon as we start working on them.

Posted by: brad parker (167.225.107.---)
Date: November 30, 2011 02:13PM

I have received that same blank. It did have the 2 marked out and a 3 wrote in. Figured they ran out of labels with the 3 on it. But never had one with china marks on it. As long as the blank is in good shape, I would not worry about it. If it does bother you, just give the vendor a call. Most of the vendors on this site will make it right for you.

Date: November 30, 2011 02:42PM

So this is common or not common?

Tone kind of changed after I said it was a left side dealer. ;)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 30, 2011 02:43PM

call the supplier and ask about it

like said you can get a replacement if you want just make sure it is what you ordered

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2011 02:56PM

Lots of suppliers will buy blanks in bulk. For example, they might buy 10 or 100 or 1000 at a time.
When they receive the blanks they will often receive them in large cardboard boxes, that may or may not have individual wrappers on the blank.

Then, when the supplier resells the blanks they may choose to place the blank in a poly bag or not If not, the blank will be received in a simple tube. It may or may not have a poly bag on the blank.

Many of todays blanks are made off shore. They may be made in the US, China, or some other off shore country. If it is made in another country, it may or may not have a label of origin on the blank.

So, the blank that you have received, is likely a first run blank, made in china from a quality supplier - to directly answer your question.

There are less and less manufacturers of any product in the US any more. This certainly holds true for fishing rod blanks as well. Even blank manufacturers that are head quartered in the us often have manufacturing plants in other countries.

Enjoy the quality product that you have received and build a great rod on the blank.

Roger

Date: November 30, 2011 03:25PM

Really appreciate the feedback guys. As a new builder I just look at buying these products like I do any other. Without the background information it leaves a guy like me confused at time of opening the package.

Spoke to the dealer who said that while this isnt common, it could also happen by innocent mistake. They referenced the re-bagging that Roger talks about. Although minor, they apologized, end of story for me.

Date: November 30, 2011 03:38PM

It might be a easier if you just specified the blank manufacturer (not supplier) so we'd have a better idea of what it is that you supposedly bought. There's a lot of guessing going on because no one knows exactly what make blank you purchased. In order to tell you if this is common or not, a little more information is needed.

Date: November 30, 2011 03:59PM

Tom,

I have spoken to the dealer now. Probably could have started there but I didnt even know if this was a common issue to begin with let alone call them on it. I've also had some iffy experiences with the CS department. I was transfered to a manager I guess and he made me feel better about the situation.

Conclusion, the china marker is not common but can happen as some of you explained. The bag being opened was related to that and they also re-bag the blanks from the mfg. plant as Roger explained. - the rod butt sticker was a mistake at the time of mfg. but they knew of it coming in as Brad explained. They hand wrote the correct number on there. All pretty innocent stuff if you know these things can happen. I didnt.

Two things I'm thankful for.

The feedback and experience shared here. - accurate!
The way the manager listened and explained things to me. - reputable!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 30, 2011 04:04PM

All ya got to do most times is ask

Bet ya feel better now

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ryan Higgins (---.130.132.122.nwinternet.com)
Date: November 30, 2011 05:48PM

The only markings on the blanks I receive are the china markings where the supplier has sized up my components to properly size my aluminum winding checks.

Posted by: Mick Batson (---.olypen.com)
Date: December 01, 2011 09:31AM

Just a follow up from Utmost Ent...Customers who buy a blank with all of the components from us will most likely find the white china markings on their blank. Especially with split grip set-ups that have multiple metal winding checks. That way, they know we have fit everything to their blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster