I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MHK rods
Posted by: Bill Graham (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2011 07:38PM

I'm wondering how Mudholes MHK rods are doing. Are they getting good referals, and are they holding up?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MHK rods
Posted by: RICHARD WILLIAM SCHMITZ (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 28, 2011 07:48PM

I ask about a FS966T-MHX+ about a week ago and never got anyone to reply
I just ordered it should be by weekend, can't wait

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 28, 2011 07:48PM

I think you mean MHX..... great reviews, nice blanks

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.196.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: November 28, 2011 08:07PM

Ditto, great stuff. I am currently swapping out my Pro Salmon team to all MHX this off season. Bang for the buck, they are top of the list.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.20.131.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 28, 2011 09:32PM

I may be biased but, they are sweet blanks that have some great features such as the individual serial numbers, transferable warranty & technique specific listing for each blank.
You'd be very hard pressed to find a larger selection of high quality blanks at any price point.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 28, 2011 09:37PM

Bill Graham Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm wondering how Mudholes MHK rods are doing.
> Are they getting good referals, and are they
> holding up?

I have built several of the MHX High-Modulus rods. I keep one for myself, (love it) and sold one to a friend. he said it is his favorite rod. I have not build and of the MHX yet; but I ordered a flipping stick blank yesterday and 'will find out if the quality is a good as the MHX High-Modulus.

As as holding up, I can't say as the two High-Mod rods are only about 6 months old. My visual inspection of the blanks when I received them give me the impression that they are quality blanks...as good as any I have built. For the price, I don't think you can buy a better blank... IMO.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Milt deReyna (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2011 10:13PM

I have had excellent experiences fishing in the Louisiana Marsh with MHX blanks, and in addition have put several in the hands of guides down there. The original MHX blanks are terrific quality, and have handled everything we can give them. That would mostly be the Mag Bass blanks, MB782, MB783, and MB843. They are a heck of a great deal and make great rods. As for the Hi-Mods, I have limited experience with them, but for the application I'm talking about, they are risky. They are very well made, but pencil core thin and stiff at the tip. The habit in the marsh is to spool rods with 30# braid, a bad habit that isn't going to go away. I have had a Hi-Mod snap into 3 pieces when making a hard hookset on a big Redfish, under those conditions. And before anyone mentions serial numbers and the warranty, that puppy is virtually worthless. You have to pay shipping and send the broken parts of the rod to the supplier to verify the disaster. Then you have to pay a 25 buck service fee for getting it handled. Then, I assume, you have to pay for the supplier to ship the replacement back. You might as well save yourself the time and trouble and just buy another blank.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 28, 2011 10:20PM

I would place them right up there with the "Cream of the Crop" Great blanks at a great price!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Clyde Thomas (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 29, 2011 05:36AM

Bill,
I've used the MB844 and 845 for throwing jigs and plastic to Stripers here on the Chesapeake... they've been great. Cows are coming home for the winter soon, hope to give them a max work out.

Clyde

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: November 29, 2011 08:57AM

My experience with MHX has been great. Not the only blank i use but i like them lots.
As to warranty needing the pieces shipped back to mudhole, that has NOT been my experience.
It may have changed since my last claim, but when one of my MHX builds breaks i have had another sent to me within days of reporting the breakage.
However i do check against the Rodmaker article to see how it broke before even calling mudhole, if its an obvious over lining or slamming in a car door or high sticking, i explain to the customer it was his fault and the warranty is not a 'any cause ' insurance, its a manufacturing defect warranty. Those will show up in the first outing most times.

Posted by: Richard Coons (64.118.176.---)
Date: November 29, 2011 09:42AM

I built a 7wt FLY and I love it. It caries a lot of line and I can punch through the wind pretty darn good with this blank. I will be building more of these for sure.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2011 05:58PM

Milt,
I think you are a bit confused about the warranty. First of all, they ask for two 4" pieces on each side of the break. $1.92 to ship them to the manufacturer. 2nd, there is a $15.00 fee that is used for return shipping and handling (which is far less than actual shipping on longer 1pc. blanks). Any manufacturer is going to want to inspect the blank / rod failure and I don't see how $16.92 vs $100.00 for a new blank isn't justifiable.

Todd

Posted by: Milt deReyna (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2011 11:01PM

Todd R. Vivian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Milt,
> I think you are a bit confused about the warranty.
> First of all, they ask for two 4" pieces on each
> side of the break. $1.92 to ship them to the
> manufacturer. 2nd, there is a $15.00 fee that is
> used for return shipping and handling (which is
> far less than actual shipping on longer 1pc.
> blanks). Any manufacturer is going to want to
> inspect the blank / rod failure and I don't see
> how $16.92 vs $100.00 for a new blank isn't
> justifiable.
>
> Todd

Appreciate the clarification, Todd. All I can do is repeat exactly what I was told by someone in your shop. I was specifically told that there was a 25 buck fee for handling the claim, above and beyond any costs to get the replacement blank back to me. No confusion on my part. But your post sounds much more reasonable. Too late to help on my deal, but that's the breaks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster