I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A defining moment!
Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 20, 2011 08:07AM

Every now and then something happens or comes along that stands above the usual. This week I experienced just such a thing.

I have been a subscriber to RodMaker magazine since volume 1 issue 3. (I am still trying to get volume 1 issues 1 and 2.) I consider the cost a very worth while investment.
Does every article apply to my needs or likes. No. But it might, further down the road. But, I still enjoy reading about what other builders are doing. Therefore I eagerly look forward to each new issue.

This past week I finally had time to read the new issue, volume 14 issue 5. By habit I started with the last page first and read towards the front. Crazy I know.
I read History, Q&A, Past and Present, GPS Guide Placement, Microwave, 100+ Years......., Letters and finally the Editor's Page. When finished I thought about what I had read, what I had reread, how it affects me and other rod designer/builders. Then I realized that this read was one of a kind. Read what each article is about. It was a combination of years that rod designer/builders have applied to this fascinating craft. Tools they designed to meet a need. How blanks are manufactured, past and present. A new program to help builders set up initial guide location and I am sure this is just a scratch of the surface. A 30 year journey chasing an idea and finally achieving the goal, AMAZING. (Congratulations to Doug Hannon!) The evolution of the spin guide and set up.

Finally the small taste that Tom gave up regarding the survey in his Editor's Page. I eagerly await the final results of the survey. I don't think a scope such as this has ever been done before. Fantastic!

This issue had such an impact on me for what it contained. I have never before seen such history and knowledge that made me think, opened my thought process and appreciated what others have accomplished. And, that goes for the Editor who created RodMaker magazine. Thank you Tom for persevering and expending such great effort to accomplish this feat.

As I started with, "A defining moment".

Capt Neil Faulkner

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A defining moment!
Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: November 20, 2011 03:16PM

It would be nice to get issue 3 and 4 and 5 since it seems to take forever to get them here in Canada. Still waiting . Yes I am subscribed here it must be that the border guards must figure it is highly classified info that we are trying to get as it seems to take an extremely long time .

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 20, 2011 03:29PM

I don't ship magazines to individuals in Canada. The person who resells them there has #'s 3 and 4 for sure. I'd get in touch with them and see what's up.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2011 04:56PM

I agree. Best magazine I have ever subscribed to. I was taught by my father (basic stuff) but almost everything else I have learned has come from Rodmaker mag, this forum and other rod builders in my area. I find myself always going back to past issues because I run into something and know that I read it in Rodmaker in the past. Great magazine.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.197.---)
Date: November 20, 2011 05:42PM

I heartily agree, Capt. What's with starting at the back? I do that quite often too. Never have understood it.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: November 20, 2011 06:00PM

Another vote for starting in the back for some reason...:) Though I do it less often now.

Anyways, indeed great point about the mag and this site.

Mo

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: November 21, 2011 09:48AM

Its a very high quality magazine. The craft is lucky to have something like it.

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2011 11:56AM

Great post Capt., great magazine, great forum. Couldn't agree more.

I too, read back to front (and upside down actually, bad habit started when I was a child) I thought I was just strange.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: November 21, 2011 01:57PM

I was just thinking last week about about all the written works and contributions Tom Kirkman has made to this industry, including Rod Maker magazine, and I realized he is a living legend. I don't know if anybody has done more for rod building.

Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.guardster.com)
Date: November 22, 2011 07:54AM

Everything about Rodmaker mag is first class. Very well thought out and assembled with articles from the best of the best. The quality of the paper and photos is as good as anything in the print world. Seems to be getting even better these past few years.

Posted by: Alex Norris (---.)
Date: November 22, 2011 05:04PM

Believe it or not but I only subscribed because I had read so many bad and negative things about it on another message forum that I wanted to see just how bad it could really be! But after getting three issues I have found it to be a tremendous asset to my rod building information database. The articles are very well researched and written not to mention how well they are presented. Overall color and quality of the mag is excellent. What started out as something I did on a whim has likely turned me into a lifetime subscriber. The mag is truly excellent.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster