I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Utra Light
Posted by: Bobby Montet (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 17, 2011 12:23PM

can anyone recommend a 6.6 or 7' two piece ultra light blank for 2-6 lb line under $100? I like mudholes but they only have once piece.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Utra Light
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2011 12:51PM

Batson IS781F or SP781-2

Joe

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 17, 2011 01:07PM

The MHX S842-2 is a 4-8# 2 pc and is the closest I've been able to locate.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 17, 2011 01:33PM

Check here [www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2011 07:05PM

Second the Batson. I use an ISP783F and I love it. By far the best 2 piece rod I've ever had. It's an RX7 model.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2011 08:14PM

Bobby,
Here is the Batson catalog:

[www.batsonenterprises.com]

Roger

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: November 18, 2011 02:49AM

St Croix 3S66ULF-2.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.capoc.army.mil)
Date: November 18, 2011 12:21PM

I have made somewhere around 5-6 of the Batson rods (RX6) and they are great! Nice finsih very crip in hand, though the bluegill would argue that!
Eric

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 18, 2011 07:47PM

Bobby

I just received a MHX S842-2 blank that I had ordered. I haven't built it yet (handle goes on this weekend) but it seems to be a very light action blank (even ultra light) to me! Might just be what your'e looking for.

Rog

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.197.---)
Date: November 18, 2011 08:02PM

Are you sure you want 6-6 or 7 foot? Longer is better for distance, good hook sets, and you can find a bunch of 3 wt fly blanks in 7 12 foot 2 piece that will cast really well with lures about 1/8 oz or less. Set up with 27x with a small spinning reel. Much better than any 6-6 I've ever seen.

Posted by: Craig Johnson1 (---.up.net)
Date: November 18, 2011 08:40PM

Bobby,

The MHX S842-2 is a great blank but probably too stiff. I really like the St Croix's 3S66ULF2 and Phenix Elixir FX661-2. Yes, I would like Mudhole to make the S841 in a two piece model too.

Regards,

Craig

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 19, 2011 01:36PM

For me, it depends a lot on what I am fishing for. My UL fishing falls into two vastly different areas. One is catching large fish on light tackle. It is more of a saltwater thing and the line class might not equate to UL. In that case I can UL fish with anything from 4 -12# test depending on the fish I'm after. The other end is freshwater fishing for panfish. There I'm looking to get the maximum fight out of the smallest fish.

If I was saltwater fishing I'd lean more towards spin/jig fast action blanks. I might even underline the blank. If I was freshwater fishing I'd lean towards a more moderate action blank like a popping rod or fly rod. My choice would also depend on my need to detect a bite. Big difference between casting a small jig in deep water and fishing a cricket under a bobber. The more visual indication I have of the strike the more inclined I am to leands towards a slower action blank.

I have tended to find spin/jigs are a lot more powerful than the ame rated popping blank.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 19, 2011 03:57PM

Bobby; If you are looking for Ultra Light, better go with a "0" power Popping Blank, 2-6 lb line in a 7 footer is your best bet. Two piece may be hard to find.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Michael Hinton (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2011 03:04PM

Bobby,

You should have a look at American Tackle's site listed on the left. There are five two piece spinning models available in the Matrix line. The AMSP781-2 would be a good choice for 6'6" 2 to 6 lb.
They are available in an emerald green or a natural graphite (clear gloss) Fine blanks and well under the $100.00 you mentioned.

Mick Hinton
American Tackle Co.

MIck Hinton
American Tackle Co.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster