I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Carolina Panther Decal plus customer rant.
Posted by: David Spence (---.scansafe.net)
Date: November 09, 2011 02:30PM

Anyone know of a source for a small (spinning rod size) Carolina Panther decal? I agreed to build a "Panther-themed" spinning rod for a friend. She wants abalone on it, the blank painted teal and a special Carolina Panther inlay. Oh, and just for good measure, she wants to keep the price under $100! Then my wife asks me how much profit I'm gonna make on it-well, we'll honey, I'll make $ on it but it will be in the form of a 2011 tax deduction.
Two years ago she wanted a custom trolling rod for her husband-of course, "keep it under a $100." I did a black and gold Seeker and even did a spiral wrap. Well, all I've heard since then is that they have trolled for the last 2 years and they haven't caught one fish on that rod with the funny guides, but they have practically emptied the ocean with all their other rods. They are convinced that the spiral guides can be detected by the talented, prescient and obviously Ivy-League educated" local pelagic species. At first I took it as a good natured joke but now, but after 104 weeks of incessant remarks, I'm so steamed that I'm taking it back and re-wrapping the guides just like the rusted oneson his "pricey" sticks from the "bucket o' trolling rod" combos at the sportsshop down the road. I'm tempted to "score" the blank so that it snaps when he hooks so much as a lizardfish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carolina Panther Decal plus customer rant.
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2011 03:23PM

I would bow out gracefully if all the do is ridicule you. Sounds like they don't have an idea what they are doing. On good rule in rod building is to never let the client dictate the price. Price it out and if they don't like it Wally world is is only a short drive away. She probably pays close to a hundy to get her hair cut and that don't last but 2 weeks.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (96.18.207.---)
Date: November 09, 2011 03:23PM

Now you know why You don't do business with friends or relatives and if you do you charge them at least double. Whatever they do or don't do with those rods will be your fault for the rest of your life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2011 03:24PM by Bruce Johnstone.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 09, 2011 03:29PM

I should let you wrap rods for me --- you wrap for "under $100" & I'll sell.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 09, 2011 03:31PM

Me Too

Just read the rest of your post And you did not learn from the first rod - Shame

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2011 03:54PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 09, 2011 03:41PM

You're way better of a man than I.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2011 04:10PM

Sounds like the kind of customer to avoid. If it were me, I'd print them out a map showing their local "Wally World" store. I had a neighbor that wanted to provide me with all of the components that he wanted on a fly rod, then offered me $100 to build it for him - but he wanted it to look just like a rod that I showed him previously which had a weave, a tiger wrap and a time and labor intensive grip. I told him I was willing to start the rod until I felt that I had worked up to the point of what I felt was a $100 worth of my time which would consist of gluing up some "patterned" burl cork rings to a mandrel and taping the guides on the blank after determinging proper guide spacing, then removing the blank finish where the grip/reel seat would eventually go - creating a water break free surface - and that's it!. He not only didn't go for this, but he didn't speak with me from then on, which was frankly a welcome outcome! I let people know up front that my prices are firm and well worth it if you take the time and effort to compare the final product to what's offered off the shelf at the local fly shop. I will sometimes give someone a break (if time permits) by throwing in a tiger wrap or using birch bark in the grip, but when they try to "cheapen" and minimize my efforts, I always add to the price - as if to let them know that if they don't appreciate my efforts and skills, there's no reason they shouldn't pay for it in full! I've lost customers this way, but only those that I didn't need to be having to deal with anyway. Occasionally I hear someone say "wow, you're really proud of your work". I always respond with, "well, if I wasn't, I'd offer you the same old stuff you can buy off the rack at your local flyshop - which is quite frankly, nothing to be proud of!"

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 09, 2011 05:25PM

$100!!!!!! I rarely have less than that in materials. I would also send them to wally world

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2011 05:43PM

David,

Try "fingernail decals" from a licenced NFL dealer.

Building for family or friends does have it's pitfalls but I know it has it's rewards too. Be patient, the reward will come. ( I hope! LOL)

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: November 09, 2011 06:05PM

Raymond

If he starts to build that cheep \The word will get around and all will ask for the same

get material costs -Plus labor that is worth it Don't cut your self off

You did one and now they figure they got you

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2011 08:16PM

can you build me a kingfishing rod that is spiral wrapped with abalone, titanium guides, has y name in gold filagree, weave of a kingfish adorned with jewels, and an intricate thread wrap? i will gladly pay you $125 which is well above your standard rate

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2011 08:37PM

David I have them here Send me your Snail mail Address

Posted by: David Spence (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2011 10:54PM

I appreciate the replies-I really wasn't implying financial "hardship." I don't build for a living- I have a day job and this is just a self-financing hobby. I build a lot of rods for friends and charities free of charge. The folks I posted about are are friends-I''m just always always flabbergasted at the ignorance of what it is we do building custom rods. I guess these folks think we just buy stuff at Wal-Mart and slap it together-their resistance to anything innovative is puzzling. I just would rather build a custom rod free for a knowledgeable angler than to get a hundred bucks from a friend who thinks a custom rod is just one that's not store bought. I guess that despite all the promotion we have done, a tremendous percentage of even the most avid anglers don't have a single clue about custom rods.
I have received e-mails offering to do the Panther decal for free-very generous gestures. I'll gladly pay-I just wish Knox would "come off" some of that shell!! LOL

Thanks all!

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: November 10, 2011 06:40AM

David,

I have not used any of Kevins Abalone yet. I did see a couple sheets of this last week end . It is very nice looking and great to work with. If you get a chance give it a try.

i know this was not your topic. You just reminded me of it and I was impressed with it.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2011 07:17AM

david, kevin is charging that much to help pay for that place "up north"

Posted by: Milt deReyna (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2011 08:51AM

[www.amazon.com] These vinyl stickers will do the trick, and I guess they are licensed so will be OK to use. They are vinyl, so you have to be careful with them. I tie an anchoring wrap on each end of the sticker after applying it. Before applying any finish I then use a heat gun on it, it's vinyl and works a little like shrink wrap. The heat will make it conform to the round contour of the blank. If you don't do this, the edges will lift when you apply finish.

Date: November 10, 2011 09:40AM

What about a coat of CP first - then finish ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afnoc.af.mil)
Date: November 10, 2011 11:36AM

Keep it under $100.....I stop folks at $150, and recommend they consider a higher end factory rod at that price, then come to talk when they want something mind blowing and have some real cash to spend on a rod. I do very few rods for decoration or a specific look, it's all about performance, and looks where it fits into the performance build.

Posted by: ofer nadav (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2011 11:54AM

as a novice,
you guys can only guess at how much i learned from this thread/post . as for decals, i just down load a picture and shrink it to the size i need before printing it onto a clear label

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2011 07:06PM

David; Bought them for a Theme rod,have plenty of Left overs. OK pay postage 1 small envolope and a stamp 50 cents. LOL!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster