I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Separating a stuck ferrule "tip"
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2011 10:12PM

I recall a post a few down looking for suggestions to get a stuck graphite ferrule apart. Well I was faced with 2 this evening as both rods dropped off for repair had stuck ferrules among other concerns. The first came apart with a little cold applied to it and some elbow grease (stomach grease for you old Beavis and Butthead fans) . The second wasn't as easy. I had a hard time getting a grip on the tip section. The rubber jar opener slipped due to not enough purchase on the blank. Gave up and went back to packing a wrap I just completed for the NERBS wrap challenge and there it was right in my hand the answer to the lack of grip issue. The Billy 40 double sided carpet tape magillacutty. I took a 6 inch piece of the double sided carpet tape (obtained from the big box store). Applied it to the tip section near the ferrule and there it was . Enough traction to twist it apart. Sometimes the answer is right under our noses.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Separating a stuck ferrule "tip"
Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: November 02, 2011 11:02PM

NICE!!!!! And it saved the blank from marring also. 2 tricks in one!

Re: Separating a stuck ferrule "tip"
Posted by: Robert Hudak (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 03, 2011 03:06PM

I had a tournament casting rod that was stuck for over 2 yrs (Century TTR). Nothing anyone tried or suggested worked. Ice, leaving the rod in the snow, wiggling it this way and that way, carpet tape, 4 guys simultaneously pulling and twisting, I even bought a pair of rubber strap wrenches hoping they would do the job. (Just to name a few things that were tried.) Finally a buddy came up with the solution. Take a can of air, like what you would clean your keyboard with, turn it upside down, and blow it on the ferrule seam. Took about 4 sec and a little elbow grease, and it came apart. Just in case anyone else is faced with an impossibly stubborn ferrule. (If it caused any damage to the rod, I can't tell. It is still casting as well as it always did with no ill effect to the way it mates at the ferrule.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2011 03:08PM by Robert Hudak.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster