I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First surf rod
Posted by: Jeff Gross (---.sc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2011 09:38AM

I used my first built surf rod last week in the Outer Banks. It was a kit with a LSBT1202M Lamiglass 10 ft blank to which I added a Stradic 6000 spinning with 14 lb line. Second day there I landed a 41 in and 30 in red drum from the surf and later a 5 ft ray after a 35 min fight. The rod held up great and it is really casts better than any of my commercial ones like Tica, Shakespear, and Penn that I have purchased in the past. It seemed to cast best with 6 oz sinker.

I am looking to build an 11-12 ft rod and would like recommendations. Something that would handle 4-10 oz sinker in a spinning rod. Also, recommendations for guides and reel seat as I would like to build from scratch. Any thoughts on single vs two piece.

Jeff

Columbia, SC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First surf rod
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 30, 2011 10:12AM

Check out Batson Enterprises Rainshadow 1386F ... 11'6" 4-8 oz

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 30, 2011 12:16PM

Two piece is the way to go with long surf rods. Most breakage happens in transit.
Modern rods don't forfeit anything when ferruled properly.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2011 01:56PM

Batson SUR 1508 at 12' 6"or SUR 1569 at 13' if you want the Big Gun

Date: October 30, 2011 01:56PM

Batson SUR 1508 at 12' 6"or SUR 1569 at 13' if you want the Big Gun Most likely a 24MM seat or a Fuji Plate seat. For guides i would use Bsvlg 40-30-20 and 16's to the tip with a 16 ring fuji top. I use 16's so I do not have a problem with weeds and such. nothing worst than getting jambed up with a fish in the wash!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2011 02:12PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Date: October 30, 2011 02:00PM

Whoops ........ I didn't read the entire post! SUR 1508 is probably a better choice than the 4-8 oz that I posted earlier

Date: October 30, 2011 02:24PM

Why do you guys like Batson?

Jeff

Columbia, SC

Date: October 30, 2011 02:28PM

High quality, impeccable finish, light weight, reasonably priced

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.169.popsite.net)
Date: October 30, 2011 02:30PM

"I am looking to build an 11-12 ft rod and would like recommendations. Something that would handle 4-10 oz sinker in a spinning rod. Also, recommendations for guides and reel seat as I would like to build from scratch."

Personally, I would not attempt to cast 10 ounces with a spinning rod.

By Price
Lamiglas ISU 132 2MH, 11', 3 to 8 ounces
Lamiglas GSB 132 2MH, 11', 3 to 8 ounces
Lamiglas SSU 132 2MH, 11', 4 to 8 ounces

For me, the choice would be the GSB 132 2MH.

Guides: Fuji Alconite or American Tackle Titanium RLC.

(I am currently transferring my web hosting service. My emal & website will be down until 10/31/2011 PM.)

Don Becker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2011 02:43PM by Donald Becker.

Date: October 30, 2011 03:25PM

Don, normally I do not cast anything over 8 oz but there are times on the Outer Banks when the drift is so strong that 8 oz is not enough. Usually I cast 5-8 oz plus cut bait. Very rarely up there can I get by with 4 oz. Almost never with 3 oz.

Jeff

Columbia, SC

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.169.popsite.net)
Date: October 30, 2011 09:29PM

Hi Jeff,

The next two blanks that are up in lure rating and length are:
Lamiglas GSB 144 2MH, 6 - 16 ounces
Lamiglas SSU 144 2MH, 6 - 16 ounces.

In general, I prefer a longer rod with a conventional reel. As such, I have no personal experience with the two blanks above. I would suspect that the GSB would be the easier casting of the two.

Don Becker

Date: October 31, 2011 05:24AM

Jeff Gross Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why do you guys like Batson?

Same answer as Ken Preston,After buying my first Batson Blank and looking at the Quality and the Value for the money you spend. I have used them ever since.

"normally I do not cast anything over 8 oz but there are times on the Outer Banks when the drift is so strong that 8 oz is not enough. Usually I cast 5-8 oz plus cut bait. Very rarely up there can I get by with 4 oz. Almost never with 3 oz."

I live in Cape May Area and our Conditions are about the same and Batson is my go to blank for Surf Rod builds. To me quality and value means more than paying more for a Name

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2011 05:25AM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2011 03:03PM

X10 on the Batson Sur 1508 Great blank at a great price. [www.getbitoutdoors.com]

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 01, 2011 11:32AM

I live on the outer banks, Joe Moore ,name of business is One More Cast he sells Breakaway Rods and blanks , He is a nice guy and a ling time tournament caster Breakaway is a great product. One More Cast in Avon, NC is a private company

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 11:45AM by Maryann Cohen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster