I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What is best way to separate two piece?
Posted by: Jeff Gross (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 25, 2011 09:45PM

I have a two piece surf casting rod that I cannot separate the top section from the bottom. Is there a suggestion?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is best way to separate two piece?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 25, 2011 09:56PM

Apply a cold pack, wait 15 to 20 minutes, and try again.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2011 10:18PM

Ditto the cold pack, good luck with it. I used those jar opening pads that are nonslip to get a good grip .

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: October 26, 2011 09:24AM

I've never had this problem and the cold pack is new to me so I'm wundering do you put the cold pack directly on the furrell or above or below it. I have seen the problem posted elsewhere and grasping the rod above and below the furrell, lay the rod accross your knees with your hands tight to your knees and use your legs to help pull the rod apart. Now I have two sollutions if I encounter this problem...Thanks

Date: October 26, 2011 09:49AM

Glass to glass or graphite to graphite ferrules can stick under prolonged assembly due to temperature changes during that time. A cold pack directly on the ferrule generally takes care of the issue.

The technique mentioned by Jim is more for metal to metal ferrules than for modern integral ferrules. Metal ferrules are seated with a straight push, integral glass or graphite by twisting.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.credit-agricole.fr)
Date: October 26, 2011 11:02AM

Wrap the female part in aluminium foil.
Heat it with lighter (not too much).
Wait a litte and go on.

Date: October 26, 2011 11:29AM

You have to be very careful about ever applying heat to glass or graphite ferrules - they are easily ruined with the application of even a little too much.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2011 04:27PM

A simple tool for making it easier to grip the blank and seperate stuborn ferules was featured in a past RodMaker issue. In a nutshell the tool is made from
a couple pieces of EVA or Hypalon (the ones with a 1/4in hole) which is sliced down one side and then a non-slip material (like rubber) is glued into the
inside of the EVA pieces. Slide them over the rod parts for a good sound purchase and grip.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 26, 2011 04:31PM

Old fly rod trick...stand up, put the rod BEHIND your knees, grip the rod then spread your knees/upper thighs against your forearms. Grip seems better in this position, too.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 28, 2011 08:31AM

Good info.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: October 29, 2011 01:53AM

You are better off sitting in a chair with it behind your knees, as when standing and squatting to do it you stand the chance of loosing your balance, falling backward, and possibly breaking the rod

Ron Weber

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: October 30, 2011 05:33PM

Congratulations, you just got yourself a one piece rod. Kidding aside - appreciate the suggestions - good to keep in mind.

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster