I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St Croix Choices
Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: October 23, 2011 10:05PM

I have wanted to build a St Croix salmon/steelhead blank for awhile and Mudhole has the 2010 SCV models on sale for 25% off. So an SCIII with the same specs can be had for $140 and an SCV (from 2010) is $153. I am thinking it's worth the $13 to get their top of the line blank even if it is last year's model.

Just wanted to see if the forum had any thoughts here.

Specs:
Salmon/Steelhead spinning -target species is Coho salmon in Alaska
9 Feet
8-17 pound test line
3/8 - 1 oz lures

I plan to build it with Fuji KL/KT guides in a NGC format..

I have previously built Batson Rx7 and Rx8 (love this rod) versions of the same thing and would appreciate any comparisons. It's the off season now and time to upgrade the equipment! So SCIII vs SCV (2010)?

Thanks.

Drew

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St Croix Choices
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2011 10:29PM

A Rainshadow RX8+ would be a closer comparison to the 2010 St Croix SCV. You won't ever go wrong with the SCIII series. This does seem like a good time to try the premium lineup, however.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2011 10:30PM

Grab the SCV!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: October 24, 2011 12:54AM

Might talk to Andy at Rodbuilder Supplies. When I talked with him about the St Croix blanks, a few months ago, he steered me away of them. Never really went past the point he was not particularly impressed with the salmon/steelhead blanks, but it was good enough for me. Of course this is a Northwest perspective.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2011 10:50AM

Drew,
The St. Croix blanks are fine blanks and I have built many rods using St. Croix blanks.

One of the nicest blanks for steel head fishing comes out of steel head country from Lamiglass. So, you might want to check into those blanks before making your final blank buying decision.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Drew Pollock (162.119.68.---)
Date: October 24, 2011 01:16PM

Thanks.

I will look at Lamiglass, that is a good suggestion. I have never fished built or used a Lamiglass blank, so worth looking into.

The reason I am interested in the SCV rod is I have an SCV fly rod that is the best I own. I was thinking the Salmon/Steelhead would be worth a try, and I'm interested in comparing it to my RX8 salmon/steelhead rod that I made for this year.

I have my order all set at Mudhole, I just need to pull the trigger.

Drew.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.232.102.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2011 05:46PM

Drew,
I have to agree with Roger on this. I think you will find different actions between the SCV and the Lami. What type of application do you intend it for and where are you fishing it at?

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Drew Pollock (162.119.68.---)
Date: October 24, 2011 06:07PM

Todd R. Vivian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Drew,
> I have to agree with Roger on this. I think you
> will find different actions between the SCV and
> the Lami. What type of application do you intend
> it for and where are you fishing it at?
>
> Todd

I'll be taking it to Alaska for our yearly trip there for Cohos in the 10-15 pound range. This is river fishing casting spinners around 1/2 once, standing in the water--ie no boat. I usually fish with 12 or 14 pound test, if that matters.

As mentioned I have built a number of similar rods, and I'm always looking for an excuse to build another or upgrade my gear, especially with something made in the USA. My fishing buds will get my hand-me-downs.

Thanks!

Drew

Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: October 24, 2011 06:14PM

If yo uchoose the St Croix, make sure you ask them for a straight one! The last few blanks I have had from them were seriously bent to the point that they are difficult to wrap (not to mention the odd appearance). To their credit though, all blanks were replaced.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 24, 2011 07:47PM

St Croix bent ???????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: October 24, 2011 09:58PM

Oh yeah.. one had a tip 8mm off centre.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster