I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Marbling reel seat?
Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dsl.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 22, 2011 04:22PM

I have seen some pics of reel seats that are marbled and look really good. I'm doing a red white and blue themed rod and am looking for some advice on how one marbles a reel seat. I use PB minima's and Fuji ACS seats. What do you do to keep finish out of the slot for the reel, do you tape the threads off, does the finish coat evenly on uneven surfaces such as a reel seat, do you finish on the rod or separate? Any suggestions on red white and blue tiger. I'm thinking white and blue bottom and red on top with blue eva grips.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2011 08:17PM by Brandon Gay.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marbling reel seat?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 22, 2011 04:34PM

We did a pretty detailed article on this in an earlier issue of RodMaker. Depending on what you want to achieve and what type seat you use, it can be very easy or somewhat involved. Remember that any epoxy applied to an existing seat results in a larger diameter at the barrel which can affect the reel foot fit in the hoods. Per the article, you can reduce the OD of the barrel on most seats, be they wood or aluminum, and then perform the marbling.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2011 04:58PM

I have turned them down on the lathe and the added a wrap of thread and marbled over that. It was on straight graphite seat and only did the center section.[www.rodbuilding.org]

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2011 05:04PM by Fred Yarmolowicz.

Date: October 22, 2011 08:50PM

Well, I don't have access to the article and the points made by Tom are some of the questions I have about this project. If there is anyone willing to share their technique or even some hints from the article, I would greatly appreciate it.

Posted by: Andrew Cake (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2011 03:19PM

Well, if you have some old reel seats lying around with different styles, I suggest you do like most that dont have access to alot of literature and well go back to old school trial and error before you go to town on the rod your building. I find that you learn more that way. and well you can see the results and learn from them first hand. This way you have a better basis and understanding for the next time and times ahead to this project you have embarked on. Post pics on your results and definately post on the things you learned. I wish the best of luck. Seems like a very cool idea!

Date: October 23, 2011 04:11PM

Thanks Andrew, but isn't this forum for sharing techniques? Surely someone here will help me out. I hope this is not some secret that only subscribers to RM for the last several years are allowed in on. I know I can figure this out on my own, but I do have some questions before starting off on this venture. I don't really want to practice to many times on seven dollar real seats. Fred, thanks for your reply, but I'm using Pac Bay Minima's and Fuji ACS's Yours looks great. I've seen some cool pics of them before so I know it's possible.

Posted by: Andrew Cake (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2011 04:58PM

I agree, but sometimes the best techniques are the ones you figure out on your own your own. Thus the reason how those techniques are developed into some of the results you have seen. But let me see if I might be able to tackle your issue. After reading your post, it sparked my curiosity and I took a look at several reel seats I have lying around. Tape off the threads. I use ProKote medium build as my finish, so apply your first coat just thin enough that you can start the process(while the reel seat is turning), remember your finish is only going to go where you apply and push the finish, as far as ProKote is concerned. Go thin on the amount of color, you dont want too much build up, because this will cause issues with the reel actually inserting into the hoods of the reel seat. But it appears to me that your first application of finish is whats going to make or break this project, and then how well you can apply the color to keep it even. Now what I would do if there is too much build up on the face of the reel seat, is lightly wet sand the face of it till the reel foot can slide into place in the hood. It shouldn't affect any the color too bad if at all. Becareful not to get the finish into the void of the hood. I hope this puts you on the right track. Sorry if its not the answer your looking for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2011 05:01PM by Andrew Cake.

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: October 24, 2011 10:18AM

Brandon, you can always order the back issue for about the same $ as a reel seat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster