I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

3 rod refurb
Posted by: Paul Whyman (---.12-2.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: October 06, 2011 03:34PM

Hi folks,
i am based in the UK and new to rod building, i once re-rung a 12 ft match rod in my teens which my son still uses to this day but as i found on this site things have moved on a bit! Great site for info by the way!

I have three 12 ft carbon carp rods which are in need of refurbishment as the blank and ring coat has bloomed and i have decided to do these myself and ii am curently preparing to get the materials together and make myself a hand wrapper and a motorised dryer.

i have two main questions you kind folks could help me with:-

a) I have an old microwave which i plan to strip the motor out of for a dryer. However how/what do i need to take out of the oven to power the motor, from pictures i have seen of these units they have a positive and neutral terminal are 240v and separate from any power supply. Am i missing something obvious here? Sorry for such a daft question, but i am not very good with electrics, i am a carpenter by trade.

b) What is the best/safest way to remove the current finish on the blank itself, i am ok with removing the rings and whippings, i am referring to the fine coat on the blank itself, as i am not putting a finish coat on the blank (only a coat or two on the whippings) i am leaving it as a polished matt.

looking forward to any replies

best regards
Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 3 rod refurb
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: October 06, 2011 04:26PM

Not sure about the motor, but for taking off the finish, I prefer to scrape it off with a razor blade or hobby knife blade held perpendicular to the blank. Depending on the finish, light scraping will take the finish off very easily and not mess with the blank itself.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 06, 2011 04:33PM

The edges of the original whippings can be removed with the edge of a plastic credit card or your fingernail. It should pop right off. I hate sharp objects against a rod blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 06, 2011 05:29PM

The warmer you get the old finish the easier it comes off I use a hair dryer

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.metropcs.net.141.174.in-addr.arpa)
Date: October 06, 2011 05:37PM

I use a turn table motor and it workd just fine. I just wired it to a on/off switch and the switch to a cord plugging into 120v power. However I am in the U.S. And your power needs may be different. You may want to look at how the turntable is wired in the microwave.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Re: 3 rod refurbishing
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2011 09:19AM

Paul,
Since you are in the UK and I expect that your oven was made for use with your 240 volt voltage.
As a result, I suspect that it is quite likely that your motor is connected directly to the 240 volts through a timer.

When you take the oven apart, leave the wiring intact and then trace the wiring of the motor back to your electrical plug. Verify that the only thing that the current runs though is a switch to get from your ac plug to your motor.

If you find that to be the case, you will then be able to use the motor through a switch directly to your 240v house power.

To be sure, it would be nice to simply put a voltmeter on the motor windings when the motor is running. Of course, you can carefully check for numbers and or markings on the motor. You may very well find that the required voltage is stamped on the motor itself.

----------
To remove the finish, just use a hair dryer or paint dryer blow gun to slightly warm the finish on the rod. Then, use a razor blade that is held at 90 degrees to the blank to scrape the finish from the rod. After cleaning up the rod, you can use very fine sandpaper to get a final matt finish on the blank. Just use the sandpaper sparingly. You want to remove only the finish and not the resin of the blank itself.

Good luck
REW

Date: October 07, 2011 09:31AM

Paul,
Here is a typical example of a microwave motor that you can purchase in the UK.

[www.espares.co.uk]

Note: The motor is wired to run correctly on 240V ac and will run just fine if the AC cord is wired directly to the motor, or through a switch.

Then, just make a t-block of the correct height to mount your motor. Finally finish it off with a nice chuck for the motor.

If you don't want to make one yourself, the use of the flex coat neoprene style chuck will work well for your application.

[www.jwtrout.com]

Roger

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 07, 2011 09:53AM

Alternately - there are advertisements on the large @#$%& site - someone is selling drying motors running on 220 volts. Might save you a LOT of time. One already set up is US 22.00 and a set of 5 are going for US 30. Of course you'd have to add shipping

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2011 09:56AM by Ken Preston.

Date: October 07, 2011 11:14AM

Paul,
Another excellent option for a dryer motor is to use a 12 volt dc gear motor of the correct rpm that you would like to use for your drying needs.
Perhpas 6, 10, or 15 rpm.

Then, simply buy a plug in power supply that takes your 220vot ac to 12 volt dc . These power supplies are readily available for little money on line.

Often the use of these motors have a much better shaft for mounting a chuck than some of the microwave motor turntable motors.

It is nice to have an extended metal shaft on the motor so that you can nicely secure a chuck mounting arbor.

Also, check out any surplus stores in your local area. If you are in a reasonaly large city you will certainly have surplus shops in the area where you may be able to find exactly what you want for little $$.

Roger

Posted by: Paul Whyman (---.12-2.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: October 07, 2011 11:22AM

thanks for all your replies folks.

Roger, thanks for the detailed reply, i will do as you say and trace the feed to the motor, hopefully the feed for the motor doesn't come from the same distribution board for the micro itself and it will be as simple as it could be, i'm going to get busy with the microwave later.
regarding the finish of the rod i'll see what kind of finish i can get using the scraper method and then go from there with the finest wet and dry and or 0000 grade wire wool.

i'll let you know how i get on.

thanks again to everyone.

best regards

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster