I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New to the Site and Rod Building
Posted by: dave mckenzie (---.jmsmucker.net)
Date: October 01, 2011 06:11PM

Hey Everyone, I guess i've been reading so much information on the site, that I haven't taken time to introduce myself, and I am not real sure if this is the place to do so. I'm Dave, I live in Slidell, and in July attended a 2 day seminar in Pensacola for Rod Building sponsored by the mud hole. Met some great people there like Mr. Todd Vivian, Scot Gimbert and a few more. The class was very short and packed with information. I guess after leaving there I still had a lot of questions on my mind. I recently purchased Mr. Tom Kirkmans Book, Rod Building guide, which is most of what we were taught, but I know for the life of me that anything a person does they want to do to the best of their ability. So I also purchased Dale Clemens book "Advanced Rod Building and Thread Art" thinking hopefully this would help me to learn. Thinking afterwards I was the loner to my area, because absolutely no one I know in my area builds rods that I know of. I am seeking knowledge from anyone and everyone who can possibly help me aquire the skills I will need to build the not only functional fishing rod, but also a rod that a person would be proud to own. Many years ago I purchased a baitcast rod on @#$%&, thinking it was the best looking rod I had ever seen, This rod, was an inshore rod, 10-20 lb class, and had these little aftco roller guides all the way up to the tip, after buying this rod for top dollar, I found it didn't cast my bait very well at all, But I was so proud it was a custom rod, the builder even placed my name on it. The Rod is a looker but not much for functionality, and this is something I want to change in my Rod building time, placing the proper components on the best rod, for the job for the fisherman to have the best tool for the job, and not just build a rod that looks good and could double as a boat anchor. I am thirsty for all the information I can get, and I am willing to do the research to help me master this goal, I need hands on experience from good builders to learn the right way of doing things, to build quality, functional rods as many of you do, Something I can be proud to say I built it with my knowledge and I know it's right. Thanks to Everyone on the board for your information, and my e-mail address is davemckenzie@charter.net and anyone can e-mail me, I will promptly get back to you as soon as my job allows. Thank You for such a great Forum!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to the Site and Rod Building
Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: October 01, 2011 06:40PM

G'Day Dave Welcome to the insanity that is rod building , the books you have purchased will help you no end (they did for me) .If you do a search on "YouTube" for Rod building you will find a ton of material also this site is a wealth of knowledge all you have to do is ask the question & don't forget the library section on this site .

Enjoy your new pastime

regards Baz

Posted by: dave mckenzie (---.jmsmucker.net)
Date: October 01, 2011 07:12PM

Barry Chapman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> G'Day Dave Welcome to the insanity that is rod
> building , the books you have purchased will help
> you no end (they did for me) .If you do a search
> on "YouTube" for Rod building you will find a ton
> of material also this site is a wealth of
> knowledge all you have to do is ask the question &
> don't forget the library section on this site .
>
> Enjoy your new pastime
>
> regards Baz

I see the Tab at the top for "Library" but when I open it, The page shows most recent Items? does it go further in depth than this initial page?

Thanks Again
Dave

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 01, 2011 07:58PM

Dave you have already learned a very valuable lesson that perhaps you are unaware of.

Think about why you bought the custom rod you did. I'd wager all those roller guides caught your eye. Now anyone that knows this craft knows better than to put roller guides on an inshore bait caster. They should be reserved for minimum 50#, and more like 80# offshore rods. The only exception would be someone fishing ultra-light for world records.

So my first advice would be to give up on looks. Build a superior fishing machine. Buy a decent blank. Use the lightest and smallest guides possible. Learn how to place them via "static testing" and "new guide concept" and find out what "27X" means. Some terms are only relevant to spinning rods.

Forget looks for now. In fact please forget how you think a rod should look. They are just like lures, marketed to catch fisherman and not fish. A great rod will probably look like something you wouldn't buy. Get over it or else you are wasting you time.

Remember all rods fish their best as a cane pole. Anything, and everything, we add to them only screws them up. The goal is to "screw them up" as little as possible while still having something with guides and a way to mount a reel.

Post more about where and what and how you fish so we can better help. The swampland boys are likely to be your best friends.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2011 08:17PM

Dave -

IF you want to REALLY immerse yourself ... attend the Expo in February. You can catch Amtrak in Slidell and it runs directly to the Showplace in High Point. Approximately $250 roundtrip.

Here's a link to the show information ... [www.icrbe.com]

Here's a link to the Amtrak site ... [www.amtrak.com]

Attending the show would significantly reduce your learning time and it is a great place to network and see tens of thousands of components.

Jim -

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: October 01, 2011 09:22PM

Swampland tackle is about 1.5hr from you to the west in Houma...

Call Lance and tell him you are coming. You'll be glad you did.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 01, 2011 10:12PM

Dave give me a call when you can spare a few minutes. I can help you get started with everything you'll need to make some of the best inshore fishing rods you'll ever use. We stock a large selection of Batson Rainshadow and Forecast blanks along with Castaway task specific blanks and also blanks from American Tackle. Components from Batson, American Tackle and Fuji and a very large selection of cork and custom EVA grip sets.

By the way, I do have a friend/customer from Slidell that makes regular trips my way to pick up blanks and supplies.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Lance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2011 11:32PM by Swampland Tackle Lance Dupre.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.193.102.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2011 11:13PM

Dave, feel free to give us a shout anytime, glad to help anyway we can. Enjoy the process and don't worry about looks, its all about function if you ask me.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2011 11:22PM

Welcome aboard. The Library above is full of info and you are sure to get help here when you need it. It's a lot of fun and very satisfying to build a rod to fit a person, even if it's you. The sponsors here will also help with questions if you aren't sure what to buy to match this or that etc. Have fun and be sure to post pics of your work if you can.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Kevin Bergeron (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: October 02, 2011 05:23PM

Dave, I'm right around the corner in New Orleans. I would be happy to come out your way to answer any questions you may have once you get started. Contact me anytime.
kberg34@yahoo.com

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 02, 2011 05:47PM

Thinking afterwards I was the loner to my area, because absolutely no one I know in my area builds rods that I know of. I am seeking knowledge from anyone and everyone who can possibly help me aquire the skills.

I felt this way when I started building a few years back. I now have breakfast once a month with 7 other builders in my area. We are hosting the Ohio Rod Builders Gathering in November. I am not the only builder in my area anymore. With out adding my home town under my name, I would still think I was the only builder in the Canton, Ohio area.

I always encourage new and veteran builders to add their hometown as their signatures when they post on any this forum. You never know when a builder lives across town from you.

Good luck and be patient.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster