I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How can I determine between these two blanks?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2011 09:12AM

There's two blanks that I'm considering and I'm trying to understand how each would react without handling them in person. I want to strip streamers to Salmon holding over gravel in a rather swift current on occasions. I understand where a faster action helps mend the line easier but I don't want the bend point so far up the rod that the fish kicks my rear end. Here's the specs for each, the Matrix has a smaller butt and tip diameter and a bit lighter weight overall - and is moderate fast. The RX7 has a larger butt and tip diameter, a tad heavier, and listed as medium fast.

What diiference would I see in these two? Thanks.

Matrix .449 butt - 5.5 tip - 2.6 ozs - mod fast

RX7 .510 butt - 6.5 tip - 2.75 ozs - med fast

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How can I determine between these two blanks?
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 02, 2011 09:57AM

Tim -
I've built both. Considering your stream conditions I think the RX7 is a better fit

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.vinc.in.charter.com)
Date: October 02, 2011 10:18AM

Tim,
If you're swinging flies in fast current you will be making a lot of casts.
Depending on the stoutness of your arm, I'd lean toward the lighter rod especially with the reduced tip weight.
Once the rod begins to feel heavy the rest of the day is misery, but I'm growing older.
I also don't mind if the fish wins once in a while, as long as I can make another cast.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2011 02:00PM

Moderate Fast and Medium Fast indicate the same thing, however, that particular system of action description has very wide categories - two blanks both listed as being "Medium Fast" could be markedly different in action and material distribution.

Going with what Eugene stated above, I'd chose the model with the faster action, but the only way to determine that without having the blanks in hand will be to compare AA figures, if you can obtain them.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2011 06:23PM

Build one of each, and then you don't have to decide on which one to build.
Then, you will have a choice when fishing. You can let the fishing of the rod/s make the decision for you.

Roger

Posted by: Les Stewart (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: October 03, 2011 02:23PM

Following up on Roger's suggestion you could sell the rod you didn't like and let it pay for the one you liked. You wouldn't be losing anything only tying up your money for a while.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 04, 2011 12:12PM

I can't speak for the Matrix, but its hard to beat the RX7.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster