I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Dryer
Posted by: andrew johnson (---.jmsmucker.net)
Date: October 01, 2011 10:06AM

Is there a good, better, or best speed to dry a rod at after flex coating my guides, I see rod dryers on @#$%&, 6 rpm, 9 rpm, 11 rpm up to 24 rpm, and I'm really confused which one I should purchase.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Dryer
Posted by: Don Morse (99.102.149.---)
Date: October 01, 2011 10:22AM

I have a 6rpm and an 18 rpm, I personally prefer the faster of the two, but you will get many different answers ....welcome to the board and welcome to rod building.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2011 10:31AM

That was my concern when I was going to buy mine, some say the faster ones help the epoxy to level out better, and others say the slower ones, mine has an 11rpm, and it does a pretty good job, took me awhile to learn how to apply the epoxy, I guess wether an 11 or an 9 or an 24, first you got to know learn how much epoxy to apply in each application, for it to come out right, well at least I had to, the thinner the better, helped mr alot! Hope all comes out alright, tight lines!

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: October 01, 2011 10:57AM

For putting the finish on, I use a 200rpm setup. For finishing it up, mine are 4 or 6 rpm.

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2011 11:11AM

I use a 4 rpm and though I havent done a large number of rods (20 or so) I havent had a problem.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 01, 2011 12:26PM

Andrew -
The dryer speed really isn't that important at least to me. The ones I have turn at 11 and 18rpm. I do not use them to apply finish. Honestly I find those speeds too slow for application. I apply using my lathe at very high speed (in excess of 120rpm) with hand application on the edges nearest the guide ring. I find this better to get crisp edges on the ends of the wraps. The key - again in my opinion - is putting on a thin coat of epoxy. Lots of people hand rotate the rod as the epoxy sets (zero degrees for 5 minutes & wipe away excess then rotate to 180 degrees for 15 minutes & repeat). This doesn't work for me as I tend to apply finish to multiple rods at the same time at the end of the work day and let them spin on the dryer(s) overnight.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2011 08:15PM

Andrew,
I have a variable speed motor on my main dryer.
I have found that if I dry at speeds over about 18 rpm, the finish will tend to form ridges.
However, as long as I turn slower than 17 rpm it is just fine.

I think that common sense dictates a speed of at least 4 rpm just to keep things from settling.

As Ken stated, I also apply at speed up to 200 or 300 rpm. At times, I will slow the speed to 0 to coat in and around a guide foot, and then resume the high rate of speed for the application.

A power wrapper is a wonderful tool to use for applying finish. If you value the bed of your wrapper, put cardboard or similar cover over the base of your wrapper to avoid any epoxy drips from getting on the bed of the wrapper.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2011 11:24PM

My preference is 18-24 rpm.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 04, 2011 12:19PM

I'm with Ken, I put the epoxy on quickly using a wrapper and then switch to one of my dryers and haven't had an issue at any speed. We are offering 20% off the prices on our site on our dryers and wrappers to kick off the fall season. [www.getbitoutdoors.com]

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster