I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sanding blanks or reel seats prior to assembly
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2011 11:46AM

I realize that the commonly accepted advice of lightly sanding a blank and the inside of a reel seat prior to glue up is good advice simply from the stand point of breaking up the surface of the component parts to get better glue adhesion.

I will say that for aobut 90% of the rods that I build - I simply don't sand anything and I have never had an issue with anything breaking loose.

So, I am just curious as to what others do, and if anyone has actually found a glue bond problem when a reel seat and or handle was glued in place with no prior blank and or reel seat sanding.

p.s.
I do insure that the blank has been well wiped down to insure that there is no wax or solvents on the blank before gluing. I just don't do any more than that with any sort of abrading material.

Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sanding blanks or reel seats prior to assembly
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: September 29, 2011 11:49AM

I always clean with ISO and then go for a water break free surface with a grey 3M pad. I can't afford to skip that step.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: September 29, 2011 12:03PM

I always scuff the blank. On aluminum parts I use a rat tail file.

I did see a little video recently from Baston stating to use 100 grit sand paper. I thought that was a little extreme for a naked graphite blank.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Ryan Higgins (---.130.132.122.nwinternet.com)
Date: September 29, 2011 01:38PM

My first rod I didnt sand anything. This one I'm doing now I sanded the blank with 220 iirc then hit it with a 3m pad then put it all in place.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: September 29, 2011 01:59PM

I scuff with a gray 3m pad. I don't sand at all.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 29, 2011 02:11PM

I sand and try to take any finish off only because i have herd stories of even high end rods where the glue sticks to the seat and the finish -- but the finish does not stick to the blank Therefor loose seat

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.georgewall.com)
Date: September 29, 2011 04:24PM

There is a difference between sanding and scuffing. Scuffing take the shine off the finish and allows for good adhesion. Sanding removes lots of material by scratching, something we try not to do to a blank. Roger, what type of rods do you build? I am 99% salt water and some of the fish we deal with you want all the insurance you can get that it will gold together. I know of some high end vertical jigging blanks spinning reel seats when faced with a 100 lb tuna . that is not something I would want to risk. Spend 5 minutes and scuff it.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 29, 2011 07:47PM

Okay Fred, but what about a case like Bill brought up? When I have a rod with a finish on it I'd like to cut through it where the reel seat and grips are going to be located.

The average bass fisherman has little to worry about. Take the gloss off and you are fine. Just wash it or wipe it down with solvent and you are still likely to be fine. The 100 pound tuna guys often have blanks that can handle being ground down to fit in a uni-butt without harm. I'm in-between. For me if it has no finish 400 grit and a light scuffing works. If it has a finish, 220 grit and just cutting through it works for me,

I strongly suspect all of us go to far greater lenghts than most factory rods. A lot of them do okay for a number of years. Nothing stinks as much as a loose reel seat.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns17.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 30, 2011 01:54AM

Hi guys,
I'm with Chuck on this but Bill brings up a good point as I've seen plenty of factory rods where the finish comes loose. For heavy duty rods might be best to just remove the finish, then get a water break free surface before gluing up. Russell I'm sure we go to more trouble than factory rods as for them time is money and they skip whatever they can and let the warranty deal with any problems. Saw a reelseat come loose on the first use of a budget game rod when a friend was hooked up to a very big bull dolphin fish. Wasn't pretty.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster