I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

finish in eyes
Posted by: scott stevens (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 28, 2011 09:43PM

built my first rod today and thought I did o.k. on the finish. wrong. After having it on the dryer about 2 hrs I discovered finish in two of the eyes What can I do? They are micros. Thanks Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: finish in eyes
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.mycingular.net)
Date: September 28, 2011 10:12PM

Heat the tip of an exacto knife blade and stick it through the epoxy and twist it until it's clean.

Posted by: Garey Elkins (---.demon.co.uk)
Date: September 29, 2011 01:21AM

I'm sure Lance has done enough of them to be spot on with his recommendation. But for myself and not having probably 1% under my belt as he has done; I would recommend using thinner coats or a thinner version of epoxy on micros because the guide ring is lower to the blank and leaves room for less error on the next build. Were you trying to do a one coat finish? I usually do a minimum of 2 coats on them. I wish I had the know how to do single coats, but I always end up with eggs, bubbles, or some other mess to deal with later.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 29, 2011 07:56AM

start with less finish and be careful near the guide ring and you will avoid the problem completely

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 29, 2011 07:59AM

If it was still wet, you could have probablyhave cleaned it up and been done with it.
On the next build, however, use a couple of thin coats to finish these guides. A little dab will do ya.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2011 08:36AM

Scott,
As with any build, It is always a good idea to keep an eye on the rods for every 5-10 minutes for the first 30 minutes that the rods are on a dryer.
Then, if you find that some finish happens to migrate into an area - like a guide ring - during the drying process, you can take care of it before the finish competely sets up.

After 30 minutes, as long as you have a good mix, the finish is not likely to run or sag any more to cause an issue.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: September 29, 2011 09:16AM

I have actually been using a bodkin to apply the epoxy near the really small guides.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 29, 2011 10:33AM

Scott you are not in the boat alone -

Those who build a lot of micro rod know that the last quality control check of the finished micro rod, before it goes out the door, is a visual check to insure that ALL guides do not have finish in the ring. No matter how the finish is applied the possibility of an "accident" occurs.

An inexperienced person will destroy a rod trying to get the finish out of the ring so he can use it on the water.

Some real savvy custom builders make money for lunch or dinner in the Big Box Stores. Find production micro rods on the rack with rings full of finish. Talk to the store manager - secretly retread to a closed room - do not allow anyone to watch you - take the Xacto Knife and a cigarette lighter - perform magic for a fee!

It is common sense to use finishing techniques to keep the stuff out of the rings but when it does happen, and it will, you should know how to get it out without damaging the ring or the rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster