I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Re-doing wraps on an old project
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2011 05:03PM

Many years ago I built a Sage 5 piece SP 5 weight and although it fishes great, the finish on the wraps leaves something to be desired as a newbie back then. Since then I've gotten a bit better at applying finish - especially with Threadmaster Lite.

Also on an earlier project I recall "light sanding" some wraps and it refinished beautifully - I assume that still holds true. After sanding and getting the wraps pretty smooth, do I need to touch them with alcohol or something or just wipe them dry and leave them alone? And how long can I wait before applying new finish? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Re-doing wraps on an old project
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 27, 2011 05:15PM

Do not use any thing to clean I just use a paper towel damp and wipe the dust off Dry with another towel -- make sure they are dry Then finish

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2011 06:16PM

When I sand wraps with epoxy on them I use denatured alcohol or rubbing alcohol to make sure I get any oils or anything else left over from sanding. It will also dry much faster (almost immediately) if you use alcohol. If you use water, and some water gets into the wrap below the finish by chance, you will have to give it a while to dry out. If you don't sand it, then just do a regular cleaning job on it. Denatured alcohol won't hurt it and it will help remove any oils that may be on it from fishing, transporting etc.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Darrell Worley (---.unassigned.ntelos.net)
Date: September 27, 2011 06:25PM

I'm pretty sure that No alcohol is best. Sanding then wipe with a Clean cloth then finish.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2011 06:31PM

You will get different opinions on this one. I was just telling you how I do it. I do it that way because I was taught that by another well known builder. Remember, it's just what works for me and not necessarily the "best" way to do it. I did not intend for it to sound that way.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 27, 2011 07:37PM

I also use Alcohol to clean before re-finishing old wraps. Never had a problem.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2011 10:23PM

Tim,
I just recently did a fly rod with bad finish on the old wraps.
Rather than just putting another layer of finish on the old wraps, I chose to cut all of the guides off of the rod, clean up the blank, rewrap the rod with the guides, or new guides as needed and then refinish.
It came out very well.

I often find that it is better to get down to the foundation, rather than trying to put on a new coat of paint - so to speak.

Roger

Date: September 28, 2011 12:52AM

Like putting lipstick on a pig LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2011 07:52AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tim,
> I just recently did a fly rod with bad finish on
> the old wraps.
> Rather than just putting another layer of finish
> on the old wraps, I chose to cut all of the guides
> off of the rod, clean up the blank, rewrap the rod
> with the guides, or new guides as needed and then
> refinish.
> It came out very well.
>
> I often find that it is better to get down to the
> foundation, rather than trying to put on a new
> coat of paint - so to speak.
>
> Roger

I have done that before on bare graphite before with great success but this Sage SP has a green gel-coat type finish that I've found on previous wrap strippings, blanks with this type of finish doesn't lend itself very well for wrap removal. Seems like even with a hair dryer and fingernail, some of the colored finish always wants to peel off.

And I want to preserve the Sage logo area just in front of the handle and stripping that area I'm sure will mess it up - since I started using Tom's technique of "drop it on, rotate and wick off, rotate and wick off" with a little bit of heat from my alcohol lamp, I'm sure it will wind up better than before. Thanks.

Date: September 28, 2011 08:32AM

Why not mask off the logo area with the blue painters tape and just strip from there forward Then you could always put a thread wrap after you pull the tape off to match the guide wraps

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster