I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Permaglass top coat on Carbon Fiber?
Posted by: Daniel Grossman (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: September 23, 2011 10:52AM

Read the new rodbuilding article on applying permagloss on carbon fiber grips. A am having a little problem that maybe someone can help out with. I shape and sand the carbon grip like I would normally do before applying the finish coat of epoxy. The problem with the permagloss is that it goes on smooth but dries with the carbon fiber web showing. It ends up having a textured look and feel. Its not smooth and flat like when using epoxy top coat. Is there a way to get permagloss to be completely smooth and fill the small spaces in the carbon fiber? I have tried sanding the grip down quit a bit before applying the permagloss but it still is not what I would like. Thanks for the help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Permaglass top coat on Carbon Fiber?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 23, 2011 11:10AM

You can't use something as thin as PG as a sealer/filler. That's what the epoxy is for.

Once you remove the grip from the heat shrink, it is advisable (per the instructions) to apply a coat of epoxy as a sealer/filler coat. Then, you sand that smooth, almost down to the level of the carbon skin (you may hit the skin in spots, that's not a problem with the carbon skins). From there, apply the PG top coat.

PG is much, much harder than any epoxy and therefore wears like iron. It's difficult to even scratch it.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: September 23, 2011 11:28AM

I have to do at least two coats of epoxy sometimes three to get the totaly smooth surface. Sanding in between each coat and then wether you spray on a top coat or use PG/Lumiseal brush on you have the smooth surface.

Posted by: Daniel Grossman (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: September 23, 2011 12:28PM

So once the carbon fiber is dry I sand it like I would normally. Then apply a coat of epoxy over the raw sanded carbon. After that drys smooth, sand it down again then apply the PG? I think I got it. :D

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 23, 2011 01:08PM

You got it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster