I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How long should a 7' blank be?
Posted by: Jeff Davis (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 23, 2011 10:32AM

Just curious as to the normal standards. When a builder orders a 7' blank, what do most of you concider acceptable when you get them? I know they're not exactly the size you order, but do you concider 1" short ok? or 2" short acceptable. Just curious. I don't have a problem with a short blank, I know a butt cap and a tip will make up for most short blanks. What would be your limit?
Thanks,
Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How long should a 7' blank be?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 23, 2011 10:45AM

It should be very close. Perhaps an inch less, or an inch more, but even better, right on the money. Two inches shy seems, to me anyway, a bit out of spec.

Different companies may have different quality control standards for length. For whatever it might be worth, I just checked 5 blanks I have here from a well known blank maker and every one of them is within 1/4 inch of the stated spec length.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: September 23, 2011 10:55AM

Hello Jeff

Personally I would not accept a short rod if it is short by the tip, at the but an inch or two maybe if it does not effect the action or power to much.

Have a good weekend.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: September 23, 2011 11:01AM

Well, these aren't "HIGH-END" blanks, but I was starting to think that I was becoming too critical. Started to think it was part of the rod building disease..... :)
The blanks are in the $20 range and I know that's not expensive, but my customers are not "HIGH-END" either. Guess maybe I'll just have to deal with it or upgrade blanks and pass on the cost.
I did contact the supplier and he did phone me about this and basically told me " you get what you get"....:( Not the answer I had hoped for, but like I said, guess I'll have to deal with it or upgrade.
Thanks Tom & Bob,
Jeff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2011 11:02AM by Jeff Davis.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 23, 2011 11:12AM

Again it comes down to what you're buying. Are these first quality name brand blanks? Or a sales item of discontinued, no-name models? They may indeed be great bargains and build into fantastic rods, but generally I wouldn't expect the bargain, no name stuff to be dead on spec. First quality, name brand, header tagged blanks, yes.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 23, 2011 11:26AM

Exactly 84 inches.

Roger

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: September 23, 2011 11:43AM

If you're customer has a 7' rod locker it had better be 7' after you add a tip and rear grip. If it's for you, I wouldn't sweat it. Plus or minus an inch. Life is too short!

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: September 23, 2011 12:05PM

You get what you pay for. If you're buying 'seconds', expect them to be 'seconds'. Some imperfection made them this way.

If you're buying top of the line blanks, expect them to be pretty close; like an 1/4 of an inch.

You are correct in that you can do wonders with a butt cap.

Better yet; buy a 'blank stretcher' JMHO C2

Posted by: Robert Hudak (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 23, 2011 12:44PM

I have my blank stretcher right beside my board stretcher, I get them confused all the time.

As long as the customer doesn't mind the variance, go with it and keep trucking. If/once it becomes a problem with the customers, I would find a more consistent vendor/manufacturer. (assuming these are not 2nds)

Robert

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 23, 2011 12:45PM

Ohhhh..... a blank stretcher ...... found next to the blinker fluid in the auto parts store?

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 23, 2011 01:50PM

Hi,

7' should be 7'! Seeker does send out blanks that may be a couple inches longer. Years ago I had an order for 6 identical rods using the same model Seeker blank. Not knowing any better I built the rods. Along the way I realised that they were not all the same length. OOOOPS!!! My mistake. Years later at a show I had the opportunity to talk with the President of Seeker and asked him why? His answer was that many rod builders appreciate getting the extra length so they can fine tune the blank action by trimming for the length. So they were not trimming the trips.

I like it as now I can trim the tip of the blank for a proper tip fitting and size.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 23, 2011 02:22PM

Hi Jeff,
2133mm
NA, even after 45 years of being metric a 7ft blank will always be 7ft, with or without the blank stretcher.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: September 23, 2011 05:11PM

I have two blanks from different companies next to my desk. One is an overstock. I just checked them. One is a 2-pc, and is 1/8 inch over spec, the other is 1/2 inch short. This is within the norm.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 23, 2011 05:13PM

For $20.00 blanks Add what you need to the butt and build Or get high end customers

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jon Bial (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2011 02:12AM

NFC 7 foot blanks are 6'11 1/2 inches long and if you get one that not exactly that, let me know.

Jon

Date: September 25, 2011 12:08PM

Thanks Jon.... and everyone for their 2 cents... :)
Jeff

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.45.28.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 25, 2011 03:48PM

Jon Bial Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NFC 7 foot blanks are 6'11 1/2 inches long and if
> you get one that not exactly that, let me know.
>
> Jon

So what if I want a 7' blank? Get a 7'-6" and cut it?

Date: September 25, 2011 04:43PM

Or add a half inch ????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2011 05:33PM

Is a half inch really going to make that much of a difference?

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Date: September 27, 2011 01:35PM

If you want a 7 foot blank Yes or just extend the handle one ring over the blank butt end

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster