I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dying cork?
Posted by: Joe Johnson (---.static.orml010.digis.net)
Date: September 22, 2011 02:11PM

I've been pondering the the idea of dying cork with various things and wondered if anyone has already attempted this and what were the results?

I know this is a broad stroke question, but feedback would be great.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dying cork?
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 22, 2011 02:15PM

I have never heard of anyone having any luck dying cork more than on the surface.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 22, 2011 03:55PM

Cork is a closed cell wood and won't absorb liquid (think wine bottle cork). I've heard of various people attempting it but I'm not aware of anyone having success. Like Ken said, I think the best you can do is 'paint' the surface with coloration.

jeremy

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 22, 2011 04:10PM

If you tint some kind of clear wipe onto the cork You will then have to apply a coating to keep it from waring off

if you want colored rings you can do several Foam handles of different colors and then cut rings from them ???

or colored eva blocks

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2011 04:11PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2011 04:53PM

Flocking is another way to go.

Donjer Products corp sells a mini flocking kit very resonably.

If interested for more information on how it is done you can send me an email.

bkcustomrods@yahoo.com

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Col Chaseling (121.212.18.---)
Date: September 22, 2011 07:39PM

Hi Joe,
I was staining a sand spike with wood stain the other day and there was a cork ring on the bench and I wondered what it would look like on cork so i tried it and it came out looking much the same as the wood colour. Don't know how it would hold up long term or if it would accept cork sealer. Plenty of different colours available in wood stain.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Bryce Abbott (---.lightspeed.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 22, 2011 09:04PM

There are old threads discussing staining cork with Min-wax or TruOil. There are apparently lots of builders that use this with success

Bryce Abbott
Go & Do Likewise

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 23, 2011 12:31PM

Bryce -
That will only stain the outside (thin skin) of the cork. Any sanding / shaping will remove the stain back to original cork color. Doubt it? = Try it. Not even RIT aniline heated will penetrate the cork any significant depth.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 23, 2011 05:27PM

You are better off to shape it and then stain it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 23, 2011 10:02PM

As mentioned above, cork is a closed cell material and as such does not absorb liquids. Any stain will only a "surface coloration" subject to the wear of handling.

Posted by: Eric Edwards (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 23, 2011 10:09PM

Has anybody ever tried to dye cork in a pressure cooker? Just a thought....

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: September 24, 2011 07:15AM

Actually, just tried it that way yesterday. Tried 3 different methods, boiling, pressure cooker, and vacuum. All results the same, Surface only, and this was with rit dye. Did not rub off with the boiling, and might last for a time with cork seal or some other sealer applied, but literally no penetration.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 24, 2011 03:14PM

Dying or staining has been tried with pressure, heat and vacuum, the results are the same it stays on the surface as the materials cells are closed and do not absorb liquids, period! Otherwise cork floats would not survive in the ocean for years, or wine corks in botles for decades!

Posted by: Mo Yang (222.92.146.---)
Date: September 25, 2011 09:56AM

The qualities that makes cork so wonderful also keeps it from being dyed unfortunately.

So if we want to only dye the surface and then seal it with a clear coat, what type of dye would be most resistant to UV fading?

Mo

Posted by: Mo Yang (222.92.146.---)
Date: September 25, 2011 09:56AM

The qualities that makes cork so wonderful also keeps it from being dyed unfortunately.

So if we want to only dye the surface and then seal it with a clear coat, what type of dye would be most resistant to UV fading?

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster