I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Slick Butt Installation HELP
Posted by: Andrew Cake (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2011 10:54PM

Hi folks, I'm very new to rod building. I live on the OBX and well I fish mostly saltwater. I plan on building a tuna rod andhave no Idea how to install a slick butt. What I really want to know more so is; How far does the blank go into the slick butt? How do I determine the proper size blank to match the slick butt? Any bit of advice related to or just in general, I'm all ears. Thank you for taking the time to read this and responding for those that do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Slick Butt Installation HELP
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 22, 2011 12:08AM

use the mesh fiberglass drywall tape to 4 arbors evenly spaced. they should be snug. unroll them and coat them with epoxy as you rewind them on the blank. I tie them off with thread when rolled tight, then just slide the butt on and twist it around the arbors to get a good bond. be sure to allow room on the butt for your gimbel or butt cap

Date: September 22, 2011 12:24AM

Its the slick butt that has the reel seat and gimbal already attached. almost as to be a single unit.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 22, 2011 12:39AM

I have just done some so maybe I can help. First we must be careful and be sure we are talking about the same things, In general it is always good to post exact part#'s and brands so we can be sure.

Stuart offers a compelete tuff-butt assembly. It includes a reel seat mounted on an aluminum tube with a nylon covering over that tube. Because of the tube one could use this to extend a rod some.

In most cases a "slick butt" is simply a nylon covering that one would use in place of EVA, hyplaon, or cork for a rear grip. In that case the blank is intended to go completely through the slick butt. It seems most of these slick butt offerings have an inside diameter around one inch. As long as the butt of your blank is under that you are okay. You would fit, and glue, some type of arbor to your blank to bring its outside diameter up to the one inch mark and glue the slick butt to those arbors.

The whole concept of building up an area of a blank with an arbor will occur a lot in rod building. Reel seats are a common example. Always buy a reel seat to fit your hand. Of course its ID must be large enough to fit the blank but generally the ID will be much larger than the blank. In such a case you will build arbors out of masking tape, drywall mesh, or use pre-made graphite arbors.

The other point that will come up is guide placement and sizing. Read up on static testing. You can purchase a CD from Tom on the subject too. Once you learn how you will never ask where to place guides, instead you will know the best possible place. That and good arbor technique will take you a long ways. From there all that is left is good color selection in threads and the right technique for your chosen wraps. That I'll leave for another:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 22, 2011 10:07AM

Stuart Slick Butt (aluminum assembly) is .820 (inches) inside diameter of the aluminum tube. Check the butt diameter of the blank(s) you are considering. You can position the blank at any depth / distance down into the aluminum tube (leave minimum 4 inches inside the tube- 6 inches inside the tube is better). If the rod blank is thick walled (like CalStar) it can be turned down / sanded to fit into the tube - or cut off to fit (remember that 6" depth though) or a combination of sanding/trimming. If the blank is a fast taper you may have to put a few wraps of fiberglass tape / epoxy at the exit point (front end) of the aluminum tube to keep the blank centered and for reinforcement. Using the Tuff Butt you can make a 6 foot blank a 7 foot rod (with the 6" inside the tube). I do a lot of these for charter captains - everything from striped bass to tuna. Generally the tuff butts are good for fishing up to 60 - 80lb class rods - beyond that not so good because the diameters of the heavier rod blanks are in excess of 1" and that's just too much trimming for my taste.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2011 10:08AM by Ken Preston.

Date: September 23, 2011 02:48AM

Hey thank you all. Really helped me a lot!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster